• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tamales in the Southwest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I made a half recipe from the back of the Tamal masa sack.
Learned some things:
1. It's not that hard!
2. Just knead the masa and then knead in the melted lard/salt/baking powder by hand. Easy. To heck with mixers.
3. Use reasonably uniform husks (I soaked three hours) and don't mess with the ones with deep splits.
4. Don't need spreaders or anything that fancy. Cowboy Kent uses the back of a spoon. I just used my fingers.
5. A meat filling will kind of stay put, but the three (out of 15) bean/cheese tamales I made, the filling and masa kind of expanded out, maybe from boiling/melting?
6. Make at least a full recipe for gosh sakes! I kicked myself for making the half batch, and needing to stand a couple of coffee cups in the steamer to fill the empty space and keep the tamales upright while they steamed.
I still need to figure out just how much masa mix to spread on the husks and how close to the "mouth" for proper presentation. Gotta do these with green chile chicken and pork chile verde as well. Mine are more round than flat. Dunno if this makes a difference.
Nicely done. They look good....
How do they taste? How is the texture?

Glad to see you make tamales. My son and I make them every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. After you do it a couple of times you’ll get the hang of it. It’s a process, but do it with family or some friends. Then it’s called a tamalada - tamale making party.

I never cared for tamales very much for the longest time. I mean I liked the flavor but I always thought they were tough. Then one day someone laughed at me for eating the corn husk.

I never cared for tamales very much for the longest time. I mean I liked the flavor but I always thought they were tough. Then one day someone laughed at me for eating the corn husk.
🤣 Did you like them after you figured out the order of battle?

Back