• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C white mountain carbine-what bullet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
It's a50cal. I tried hornady great plains bullets and cannot get them down the barrel. What bullet would load well. This is a fast twist barrel, so am looking for some type of conical.

Right now I'm shooting powerbelts that load and shoot great, but I'd like something a little more "traditional"

The Hornady GP ARE what you want and they WILL go down the hole you just gotta whack em a time or two. You are forming them to the rifleings whe you "force" them into your gun.
I believe that your barrel is about .504-ish and the Hornady's are .512-ish at the top lug.
ANYWAY its supposed to be that way and ALL pure lead conocals are built the same way.
I know that I have to whack it with the palm of my hand (on the short starter of course) hard-ish two maybe three times to get it to seat.

I can bench press over 300 pounds and am physically incapable of getting these bullets down that barrel.

sar said:
It's a50cal. I tried hornady great plains bullets and cannot get them down the barrel. What bullet would load well. This is a fast twist barrel, so am looking for some type of conical.

Right now I'm shooting powerbelts that load and shoot great, but I'd like something a little more "traditional"

if you dont mind casting them your self get a lee 320 grn real bullet mould they will shoot good in that carbine.
bernie :thumbsup:

Do you mean you cannot get them started or that you can only get them part way?

sar said:
I can bench press over 300 pounds and am physically incapable of getting these bullets down that barrel.

Are you sure you are shooting a .50 cal and NOT a .45? Or trying to stuff a .54 down a .50? cuz something isnt adding up here.

There are a variety of Maxi-balls that have a ring pattern around them instead of flat sided. These are much easier to get down the barrel and I have had good luck shooting these.I have some 280 grn. maxis that shoot extremely accurate at 100 yds. Some 320's that aren't quite as easy to shoot but would sure knock a deer off it's feet. I too tried a Hornady slug type bullet and was afraid I would never get it down the barrel and have to pull it. I'm sure it was a mangled POS by the time I beat it home, but at least I was able to shoot it out. My rifle has deep rifling grooves and I think those type of bullets are probably more well suited for shallow rifled barrels.

Barrel is marked 50 cal, cleans well with my 50cal stuff, feeds 50cal ball and 50 cal powerbelts fine. All three of the hornady boxes read 50 cal.

Anyway, think I'll try maxiballs..
Thanks

sar, maxi balls shoot great in both my 50 cal. T/C renegade and my 54 cal. T/C Hawken. I tried the hornadys but they don't shoot as well.

Renegade Dan

I received a box of Hornady Great Plains bullets in .58 caliber with a lightly used .58 cal Zouave.

When I got to the range I wiped the bore, poured 60 grains of Pyrodex RS down the hole and started the pre lubed bullet.
It got about 12 inches down the bore and stopped.

To make a long story shorter, I ended up pounding my stainless steel range rod with a hammer to get that damn bullet down to the powder.
After firing it I did the rest of my shooting of that gun with patched .570 roundballs.

After that experiance I noted that only two bullets had been shot out of that box. Mine and one other.

I ended up casting the remainder of those bullets into roundballs.

Zonie said:
I received a box of Hornady Great Plains bullets in .58 caliber with a lightly used .58 cal Zouave.

When I got to the range I wiped the bore, poured 60 grains of Pyrodex RS down the hole and started the pre lubed bullet.
It got about 12 inches down the bore and stopped.

To make a long story shorter, I ended up pounding my stainless steel range rod with a hammer to get that damn bullet down to the powder.
After firing it I did the rest of my shooting of that gun with patched .570 roundballs.

After that experiance I noted that only two bullets had been shot out of that box. Mine and one other.

I ended up casting the remainder of those bullets into roundballs.

zonie is rite i had some of the hornady great plains bullets there is no way they are pure lead they are to hard,get some TC maxies.
bernie :thumbsup:

mykeal said:
Did anyone think to measure the bore and the bullets?

That's a great idea if I thought of it in advance. Now it's sorta academic.

I think I'll measure the maxis and barrel first though!

I'm betting on the harder alloy. Much the same happened to me when I mistakenly cast a bunch of REALs with a 50/50 mix of wheelweights and lead. Imagine my suprise when I got to the range with them, even though I'd had no problems with REALs on previous shoots.

If you like the profile of the Hornady, Lyman makes a mould with much the same profile. My shooting pard has one and it's a great shooter, but easy to seat. And while my REALs need a lubed felt wad under them for top accuracy, he just loads and shoots his with no great seating effort and no fuss with felt wads. That big flat nose makes them a superb performer on game, too.

Claude said:
sar said:

That would be a round ball. Try .490 with a .015 patch.

You really should try this. I bought one of the dirt cheap GM fast twist barrels for one of my TCs and it shoots PRB very, very well.

If you want to use a lead bullet, do a search here for member IdahoRon and read his posts.

Latest posts

Back