• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C .45 Hawken embellishments??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As another alternative....one of the best ideas / decisions I've had related to refinishing stocks was to call around / find a local antique furniture place that refinished antiques, and had a "chemical stripping booth".

I'd remove all the furniture from the stock and drop it off one week, pick it up the following week for $25, completely stripped to the bare wood. No sanding, no bursitis, no worry of strong chemicals in the eyes or on the skin, no fumes to worry about, and no possibility of changing any stock dimensions.

Did several T/C Hawken stocks this way and all I had to do when I got home was simply begin adding the coats of Tru-Oil...no pain, no strain, no stripping / sanding labor, etc, and got beautiful results.

who's to say what what's historically correct. i worked at the state museum in the 70's. they had hundreds of rifles and muskets circa 1800 to 1860's , most made from local craftsmen and gunsmith's. i don't think i saw one hawken. the curator just called them plains rifles. i've seen an oringinal hawken , carried by one of my ancesters. my cousin who owns it claims it was used against the flathead indians.

That is a good idea because if you have a good factory finish, it can be a bummer to get it all off.

If you plan to do more than one gun it's worth the money to get a gallon of Hoodstrip 290 from here - http://www.hoodfinishing.com/Finish_Removers.html

A gallon will easily do a dozen guns. It takes me less than an hour to completely strip the factory finish from a TC Renegade/Hawken with this stuff. I paint it on the stock, let it sit for two or three minutes, then brush it off with a stainless steel or brass "tooth-brush-like" brush (I get them from Harbor Freight). Two applications like that and you're down to clean bare wood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I wish you told me that 16 guns ago!

IMG_1969.jpg

AWWW MAN!!!! Now I CAN prove to my wife that more IS better....well there goes her new dryer....heheeheeeheeeee

I am supremely jealous!!! Nice 'rack' you have there.

You've got some real nice wood on those ebiggs. It's amazing what can be hiding under those TC factory finishes.

Didn't I see you at the last meeting? I'm pretty sure I remember somebody saying "Hi, my name is ebiggs and I'm a muzzleloader addict".

I am certain Miss Elizabeth would agree I need help.
There are six more now than were in the picture!
Don't tell her, OK?

Yes there is a new favorite. My latest one, it is a full stock with a 32" GM, 1/70 ROT barrel in 50 cal.

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

Latest posts

Back