• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SxS cape Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm the proud new owner of this nice-looking cape gun in .54-12. A member here was kind enough to offer it to me and will be in my hands shortly and yes I will shoot it.

299512-54-Cape01.jpg
299514-54-Cape03.jpg
299515-54-Cape04 (1).jpg

I'm the proud new owner of this nice-looking cape gun in .54-12. A member here was kind enough to offer it to me and will be in my hands shortly and yes I will shoot it.

View attachment 311593View attachment 311595View attachment 311597

Oh great , well fantastic, looks like Swiss or German as it seems to have a hump back lock , ( that’s like the close up of my hump back lock on my Swiss Feldstuter , )

I have two percussion cape rifles , but I cannot fire them in uk, no police permit , long story .

A rusty one is being done up , 12bore/577 holts auction. Came with a broken stock £160 and a few barrel dents

The one with the patch box comes in at 13 lbs. By Reilly dated 1853 , Reilly is well documented on google , good bores
a needed cleaning up .6 two grove and around 10 bore by Rielly

Yes what history do they have . So nice to show it. , lovely I wish you well from London

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Thats a very nice double rifle Andy !!
Those of us who enjoy shooting original firearms are looking forward to more photos, keep us posted on how it shoots.

Andy you may be already be experienced shooting original percussion firearms, if so disregard the following safety recommendation or possibly this info will help another forum member who wants to enjoy shooting firearms with actual living history.

As a retired antique arms gunsmith, I've enjoyed decades of hunting & competing with mostly original flint & percussion firearms.
I always replace the nipples on any original percussion firearm I intend to shoot & have recommended the same to my former clients after determining condition of the firearm is safe to shoot with an 'appropriate powder charge'.

The nipples on most early European percussion firearms I've restored to shooting condition often have large diameter vent bases that have become larger due to corrosion.
~Consequences of unsafe nipples I've observed;
If a nipple's vent has been overly-enlarged due to corrosion, when fired can allow enough pressure to blow the hammer back & shear it off of the tumbler.
I personally preferred Treso brand nipples because of their high quality standards, small vent bases that provides hotter ignition & wide assortment of sizes that I've been able to easily adapt to any original firearm with nothing more than using a drill & tap to obtain a proper fit.

Having been retired for years, I immagine today there are also other nipple supplier options to consider..
Thanks for sharing photos of your neat double rifle !
Relic shooter

Neuwied is a town in the north of the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate, capital of the District of Neuwied. Neuwied lies on the east bank of the Rhine, 8 miles northwest of Koblenz, on the railway from Frankfurt am Main to Cologne.

Looks like my guess was right.

TFoley, we really appreciate your input on European makers !!!!

Thats a very nice double rifle Andy !!
Those of us who enjoy shooting original firearms are looking forward to more photos, keep us posted on how it shoots.

Andy you may be already be experienced shooting original percussion firearms, if so disregard the following safety recommendation or possibly this info will help another forum member who wants to enjoy shooting firearms with actual living history.

As a retired antique arms gunsmith, I've enjoyed decades of hunting & competing with mostly original flint & percussion firearms.
I always replace the nipples on any original percussion firearm I intend to shoot & have recommended the same to my former clients after determining condition of the firearm is safe to shoot with an 'appropriate powder charge'.

The nipples on most early European percussion firearms I've restored to shooting condition often have large diameter vent bases that have become larger due to corrosion.
~Consequences of unsafe nipples I've observed;
If a nipple's vent has been overly-enlarged due to corrosion, when fired can allow enough pressure to blow the hammer back & shear it off of the tumbler.
I personally preferred Treso brand nipples because of their high quality standards, small vent bases that provides hotter ignition & wide assortment of sizes that I've been able to easily adapt to any original firearm with nothing more than using a drill & tap to obtain a proper fit.

Having been retired for years, I immagine today there are also other nipple supplier options to consider..
Thanks for sharing photos of your neat double rifle !
Relic shooter
Thank you sir, and would not even consider firing this gun until the nipples have been replaced, it's one of the first things I do with an original gun after I see if it's loaded.... 🤣 .

Very nice score!!! Congrats! It's cape gun month for us both! .58/24

View attachment 311886View attachment 311887View attachment 311888View attachment 311889

I am quite taken by the German hammer shape you cape rifle is very nice. . So much so I bid on this ml German rifle “ “ SELLIER & CO., LEIPZIG, Holts March auction but alas I lost Should have put a higher bid in, even so it was higher than valuation, totally gutted. I had just paid out £1200 for my catameran moorings so feeling a bit broke , Yes as are mr Foley said the style is typically German but in the 1860s borders changed a good bit between Germany and Switzerland , what gutted me the most was that Sellier are still manufacturing guns , no good crying always another auction
You can see the German style hammers below. Realy taken by them 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• AAD366BF-8681-4E0F-B1D5-66E9302FC4A5.jpeg
    AAD366BF-8681-4E0F-B1D5-66E9302FC4A5.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 0
Enclosed is a image of a Continental Cape Gun with a set trigger for the right hand trigger which fire the left hand rifle barrel and the back left hand trigger which fires the right hand smooth bore barrel
FeltwadView attachment 311927View attachment 311928View attachment 311929

That is so nice. It seems the Swiss and Germans we more into set triggers than the British . I wonder why that is. However both of theses countries are very much into high quality products even today.

Back