• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Switch barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rt2bowhunter

32 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone else use a switch barrel setup for hunting. I’m just getting back into muzzleloader’s. And I have my GM round ball barrel and a 56 cal smooth bore I’ll be using as a shotgun. For small game and Turkeys. That’s all I really need but have thought about getting another stock.

Attachments

• 92F0D786-7F29-4942-97F6-BE3E8B52BB86.jpeg
    92F0D786-7F29-4942-97F6-BE3E8B52BB86.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 52
The TC rifles are good foundations for switch barrels. I employ two, one a TC Hawken and the other a TC Renegade. 45 and 54 barrels for the Hawken and 50 and 58 for the Renegade.

I don't care for the Renegade stock and might do a Pecatonica re-stock.

I made this Tennessee with interchangeable barrels. .50 for larger game and a delightful .40 for smaller and just for fun. Now that deer season has passed I have just switched to .40 in anticipation of spring. Its become a long winter with more than enough snow. As a result of the Groundhog's prediction I intend to shoot every damned woodchuck I see....🙄

1644160379985.jpeg

I've got a bunch I can switch around.

I have TC Hawken and Lymans plains rifle w/15/16" channels. A fast twist 1-28 GM barrel in 50, the factory 1-48 Lyman barrel in 58, a rare 20 ga smooth bore barrel that came with the Lyman, and a 12ga Toledo barrel that's a drop in like the GM.

Everybody gets worked up about a 12ga 15/16 barrel not being safe, but I got it NOS with the paperwork and proof sheet from Toledo. That barrel has a tight full choke, the 20ga Lyman barrel is a straight bore.

I also have two Renegades, 50 and 54 1-28 GM barrels and a 1-66 TC roundball barrel.

No,but I like the idea. Problem is,over here,if I had a new barrel with a breech plug made for one of my rifles over here,I imagine it'd have to be registered as another firearm,as the serial number on muzzleloaders ( all that I've seen ) is on the barrel. Be interesting to investigate though.
I had to pass up a 50 cal cva double rifle with matching 12g barrels once due to lack of funds,kicking myself over that one.

Back