• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyKid

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got this one the other day and still trying to find some info about it. I'm told it's a .52 cal....I haven't measured, yet. Good bore, except it's blocked at the breech with dirt/grime. I have the end of the barrel soaking in Purple Power in the sonicator (nipple removed and more Purple Power down the bore). It needs a lot of TLC.....

P1010631.jpg

P1010639.jpg

P1010640.jpg

P1010635.jpg

P1010636.jpg

P1010632.jpg

P1010660.jpg

P1010657.jpg

Long range Schutezen type maybe. Git it running and should be interesting.
Wondering if that little nib thing sticking up on the hammer has, or had, a use or if it is just decorative. Yep, that elevation thingy on the rear sight is also interesting.

Interesting gun. The twist appears to be a fast twist for elongated bullets used for long range shooting.And the elevation adjustment on the rear sight supports this. :idunno:

Took this one to the range today for a short session. I started with 70 grains of ffg, .50 ball and .018 patch at 25 yards. All shots were high and a bit horizontally spread. I found the patch from the first shot and it was pretty tore up and smoldering. The front sight is a replacement and I believe it's a bit too low. Even though the bore has a 1:32 twist, I was told that because of it's age, the gun was probably meant for patch/ball. Next time I'll have more time and start with a lower charge and thicker patch and work up. I have some .50 Buffalo bullets I may try for kicks, too. Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

I've heard good things about that vent on the side of the bolster relieving air pressure upon firing. The deep grooves and rapid twist suggest it was for cloth patched picket bullets. I wouldn't try naked bullets until I was sure of the bore size. Too much chance of leading from an under-sized projectile. Found the picket bullet idea in Ned Roberts book on the muzzleloading cap lock match rifle. :yakyak:

Back