• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swedish Dog Lock Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike Godsey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy!

Here in the "German version" of Gun Broker is a original Dog Lock Musket up for auction.

These are the sepcs:
Length: 147cm
Caliber; 21,00mm
Barrel: smoothbore
Stockwood: Birch

30971949yq.jpg

30971950el.jpg

30971951sq.jpg

The starting bid is 195,00€ which is close to 220US$.

The seller says, the muskets origin is swedish.
Can anyone here tell me, if such muskets havebeen used in the Colonies at any time? Maybe during the AWI or FWI?

Thank you in advance,

Ike :hatsoff:

Hi Ike,
That is one ugly musket. It is hard to guess a date from the photos because the Swedes kept using a dog on their muskets for almost the entire 18th century. I did not realize they made such crudely stocked guns. The Swedish military firearms I've seen all were much better made. I wonder if it is a restock from surplus parts. I am not aware of any batches of Swedish arms being used in our War for Independence. During the 17th century, there were Swedish colonies in what is now northern Delaware and southern New Jersey. Swedish colonists certainly had Swedish guns at that time but they were taken over by the Dutch in 1655 and then by the English in 1664. I doubt many of their firearms survived to be used in the late 18th century. Certainly, some American colonist might have carried a Swedish musket during the AWI,perhaps obtained in the one Swedish Caribbean colony that existed at the time. However, I've never seen a surviving example.

dave

Ike Godsey said:
... the seller writes the barrel is covered with grease. So I guess it should be OK
Last time I checked ... grease can easily cover any rust or corrosive effects that were there BEFORE it was greased.

If serious, I’d insist on a non-firing 3-day inspection period, where you could return it if needed. Only co$ts you the shipping charges.

i have an original one and in the time period and them they didn't have bridals on the frizzens, they came later?

Looks like a restocked 1791 swedish army musket with bayonet.

012sB2jAd97B

more info:

https://digitaltmuseum.se/011024382639/gevar-m-1791/media?slide=0

Rifleman1776 said:
That is one ugly musket.

Tell us what you really think. :rotf:

Yes, agree. Pure ughs. But, all old guns are interesting in their own way.

Well it was made to gun down russians and danes, no need to look fancy :)

Back