• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

swaping cylinders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inthex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have heard that shooting a cylinder from another revolver, even tho they are the same make and style may be dangerous. Me and a friend are both shooting a Uberti 1858 new army. He told me he read the cylinders may not lock up in the same position. Is there anything to this?

Normal wear and tear will "fit" parts together. When you replace a part it has to "wear" into matching parts that have contact with it. With many there is little personal danger. With a cylinder there might be problems. If you started with several different cylinders and were changing them often enough, there might not be a problem but swapping between different guns is a different matter. I did read that the Missouri Raiders would often just swap cylinders but if something went wrong, chances were it would be the last time for that raider it happened.

The only percussion cap lock revolver whose tolerances allow interchangeable cylinders is Pietta's "competition" 1858 Remington. In USA, these revolvers are seldom seen. I have three, plus nine extra cylinders.

Regarding quality control, fit and finish on these revolvers is comparable with Colt Pythons I owned years ago, and Freedom Arms revolvers I presently own.

Hope this helps.

I shoot a pair of Pietta NMA revolvers that I bought from Cabelas for $179 each several years ago and I have 12 extra cylinders for them that I use every week. They all worked find and never had any problems with any of them since I got them.

I'm not planning to make a habit of exchanging cylinders with people and wouldn't have this time but my bud asked me to see if they would interchange. Well I'm thinking great, here goes six that I didn't have to load. :grin: Then he hits me with how that may not be such a good idea. Thought I might ought to ask the experts. thanks fer the info. :hatsoff:

As long as you switch Uberti cylinders in a Uberti gun you
should be OK .

Same thing thing with Pietta.

Don't try to use one gun makers cylinders in another gun makers gun .

Pietta cylinders in a Uberti or Uberti cylinders in a Pietta could be a problem`

The "extra cylinders" Pietta sells through Cabela's are drop-ins and will work on any new Pietta.
Things have changed since the advent of CAM/CAD in the black powder world.

I don't know where this info came from. I have 2 Uberti 58 Remingtons and they interchange quite nicely, along with the 3 extra cylinders. Also I have a .45 colt Kirst converter and it has no problems indexing to either gun. How old is the information was it from someone who shot BP back in the 70's and their information is from then maybe? The BP hobby is just like any other hobby you have to keep up with information in the modern times.

It may have something to do with the age of the revolvers. I have a 1851 Colt London model Navy made by Uberti. The gun was manufactured in 1978. I have not been able to get any other cylinder to fit properly except the original one. Several years ago I ordered an extra Uberti cylinder and it would not fit. Once the barrel was reinstalled the cylinder was jammed in to tight to even revolve. I returned the cylinder. A couple or years ago I ordered a drop in replacement cartridge conversion cylinder and it did not fit. The cylinder rubbed on the frame and would not even seat all the way on the frame. I returned that one also. This gun has had over a thousand rounds fired through it and is just as accurate as the day I bought it.

Back