• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suing The Turkeys At TOTW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squirrel Tail said:
Flints have to be sharp to work well, so you need to occasionally knap the edges.

Shhhhhhh! Don't say that too loud or they will start making the flint knappers putting warning labels on the flints to prevent them from assuming liability charges ... :rotf:

flintwarninglabels.jpg

Well, I suppose this whole thread boils down to the concept of; if you build a fire for a man, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life. :blah: :rotf: :rotf:

J.D. said:
Well, I suppose this whole thread boils down to the concept of; if you build a fire for a man, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life. :blah: :rotf: :rotf:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Harold1950 said:
Maybe all the cavemen bled to death trying to make fire, I only know of a couple and they are on TV doing insurance commericals............. :rotf:

According to this 1961 commerical, cavemen used Zippo Lighters...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RehivWW8ulM[/youtube]

You know, I can make sparks with two pieces of flint. Not exactly fourth of July, mind you, but it can be done. Steel is not absolutely necessary.

Musketman said:
Harold1950 said:
Maybe all the cavemen bled to death trying to make fire, I only know of a couple and they are on TV doing insurance commericals............. :rotf:

According to this 1961 commerical, cavemen used Zippo Lighters...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RehivWW8ulM[/youtube]

And that's why the cavemen died out...

Stophel said:
You know, I can make sparks with two pieces of flint. Not exactly fourth of July, mind you, but it can be done. Steel is not absolutely necessary.

:confused: but don't that make it twice as dangerous as one flint?? :shocked2: ........

....... :haha:

Do not try this at home. Stunts performed by trained professionals. We cannot be held liable for any injury or death stemming from any attempt to reproduce these stunts. For informational/educational/entertainment purposes only.

dang! now ya tell me! i jus went thru a solid month tryin to catch a spark usin my gun... :shake: THEN :shake: I read ya suppose to be usin a flintlock! :shake: oh,,,it should be unloaded too :shocked2: but it worked! :thumbsup:

:rotf:

I've been growing a beard all winter. Just for the heck of it, went outside today and practiced my firestarting with flint and steel. Set the new beard on fire when the tinder flared up. Can I join the lawsuit?

RC said:
dang! now ya tell me! i jus went thru a solid month tryin to catch a spark usin my gun... :shake: THEN :shake: I read ya suppose to be usin a flintlock! :shake: oh,,,it should be unloaded too :shocked2: but it worked! :thumbsup:

Yes, a caplock can be used for fire starting, but it takes some small knowledge.

I remember an acquaintance who used a cap on a rowel of his spur to ignite char cloth. I suspect he nearly ignited his fingers too. :hmm:

You're in Bill! What do they call that? A 'class action (frivolous) suit'?

:thumbsup:

Fellers, I know it is kinda rude to ask, especially as how I am going to sue you all for making horrible jokes about my quest for fire...

But how do you knap flint? Can a fella teach himself? Black powder geeks are few and far between up here and unfortunately the ones around here are much like myself: drunks, tosspots and black hearted cudgels...most are even MORE incompetent than I am! :grin:

Unfortunately I am on my own and my survival up here in the cold depends on you guys and the internet. :wink:

Glenfilthie said:
:

"Black powder geeks are few and far between up here"

"Unfortunately I am on my own and my survival up here in the cold depends on you guys and the internet".

jus so I know what Zip Code to avoid business letters from and Area Code to avoid on the phone.......where in the hell are you??? :shocked2:
knap a flint? Easy!!! just chip away on it till it's sharp enough to cut yer fingers! :thumbsup: I'm sure the guys here can explain easier than me with just the 7 fingers to type with...... :(

The guy on this video is hitting the striker with the flint, I have always hit the flint with the striker...

Which is correct?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jzS6pjoYLk[/youtube]

Musketman said:
The guy on this video is hitting the striker with the flint, I have always hit the flint with the striker...

Which is correct?

Whichever works best for you. Personally, I strike flint with steel.

Musketman said:

Which is correct?

Just make sure your char is on the side of the flint where the sparks will be.

Musketman said:

Which is correct?

Considering that this guy made fire with only two strikes on the steel, we know what he'd recommend. :wink:

Carl makes a good point too. If you are going to strike the flint with the steel, I find that it helps to hold the char cloth on top of the flint.

Sometimes you have to try several different ways to see what works best for you. (How's that for a politically correct answer?) :)

Carl Davis said:
Musketman said:

Which is correct?

Just make sure your char is on the side of the flint where the sparks will be.

Thanks Carl, I do it that way. I tried it the other way for for an example and the char gets beat to death pretty quickly.

Now that I think about it, the flint on a flintlock moves in the cock to hit the steel (frizzen) so I guess a flint and steel fire set should act accordingly.

This post is to ALL. I don't know how to reply to ALL.

I read this whole thread useless trash as it is, it sure is funny :haha:

One point, in quenching you only need the face of the striker that hot, so you could hold the steel with tongs and just quench the face and sides a bit for that glass hard effect we need, and leave the rest of the "C" not heated as much and certainly not quenched.

Either hand can hold either the flint or the striker. It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to stand up and are right handed, hold the flint and tinder with char in your left hand and strike down grazzing the flint with the steel in your right hand.

The char should be on top of the flint in this case, since scraping off the sparks with have them on top of the flint.

If you want to sit over a nest on the ground, or be kneeling then you can place the flint in your right hand, the steel in your left, and the nest on the ground with the char in it.

Then this way you hold the steel still over the nest and strike down with the flint grazing the steel.

Up heya' in New Hampsta the ground is wet so I tend to stand.

As it happens I have a beard, it gets so cold here in winta' even our women grow a beard.

As it also happens I don't like smoke in my eyes as it appears to strangers that I am in the act of crying, and I never cry, not ever, not even when i cut myself trying to start fire with a flint and steel. See? never!

But I still remember playing wind mill in Kindergarten, so I don't blow into a glowing nest, I wind mill it, and don't git me no smoke in my eyes.

Ah just now I see 'review other posts' next time I will be naming names! :blah:

Back