• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck ball in a charged rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rudall, then you don't have to clean the gun because it hasn't been fired. Just a quick wipe with alcohol patch and then lube and you're done.

You do realize that once the ball is stuck in the barrel...all that preventative stuff kinda goes out the window pretty quickly. :cool:

The few times that I've actually dry-balled, I just seat the ball and shoot it out anyways...works best.
You can still wipe some of the crud out of the barrel if it's dirty before you lube the barrel and pull the ball, you realize this might help the ball pull easier.

Attachments

• nipple.jpg
    nipple.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 83
go back and look at #25 panel
On Making a cheap dispenser.
I use Sweet and low sweetener in my coffee, so I have many empty 8 ounce containers. Experimenting to find something that would work for dispatching gunpowder Into my powder measure, I discovered I could bore the lid out to about 5/32 and it made a perfectly good container and a plus was it has a small cap that screws on and this keeps it sealed, and you can see how much powder is in the container and you can see the shadow inside on how full it is. I have four different nice brass powder holders, but I'm one of them fellows who carries Pyrodex P, 7772F, 7773F, 2F black, 3F black, 4F black, all in my range box, along with all the other paraphernalia that we seem to gather. I never know when I'm going out target shooting, if I'm going to take my flintlock or percussion and if I decide to take both, I've got whatever it takes to make them operate. Anyway I fixed him up one of these Handy dandy little plastic bottles with enough 4F For a couple hundred times of adding powder under the nipple In case he was by himself.
Squint

Ok - now there's something else I need. The list goes on...

As to removing the unfired ball, why not just leave it till next time? I've read that BP doesn't corrode the gun, it's the byproducts after ignition. Just wondering since there are stories of guns left for years or decades loaded with no harm done. Remove the cap, of course.

@Dude, usually the dry ball happens after the rifle has been shot several times and there is fouling present in the bore. You are at the range. It takes very litle time to clear the breech of the dry ball and you can continue shooting. Leaving it be until the next time? I won't recommend it.

I was thinking more in the case of having loaded the gun (it's clean and not shot this session) found nothing to shoot at, and now returned home.

I can understand the situation you describe. Either the ball is stuck or dryballed, or the bore is dirty and the gun is loaded unfired. It needs to come out for one reason or another, if for nothing else, to clean the gun.

Ok - now there's something else I need. The list goes on...

As to removing the unfired ball, why not just leave it till next time? I've read that BP doesn't corrode the gun, it's the byproducts after ignition. Just wondering since there are stories of guns left for years or decades loaded with no harm done. Remove the cap, of course.
Dude, never ever leave things to be done later, the OP was sure he put powder in the gun but it wouldn't fire due to contamination. Doing manure later could be a safety hazard for others who may have this gun after you've been run over by cattle or killed in a drive by or.

Things happen and now you gotta clear the load. consider one of these handy devices in you shooting box to help charge the nipple with some 4F powder .
So do you still remove the nipple and dribble powder into drum, replace nipple and fire? Or are you simply putting powder into the nipple? Maybe I’ve lived under a rock these past few years, but I’ve never seen one of those

if you can't pull well enough with your normal range rod , a little cordages around the handle then you can loop that over a tree limb or many other things to get good pull on the gun.

a heavy boot lace with loop in each end slip the loop over the handle around the rod so that it tightens around the rod

if you can't pull well enough with your normal range rod , a little cordages around the handle then you can loop that over a tree limb or many other things to get good pull on the gun.

a heavy boot lace with loop in each end slip the loop over the handle around the rod so that it tightens around the rod
I have a “ T” handle that I screw into my range rod and turn rifle upside down, hold the “ t” handle with my feet and pull rifle in an upward motion .

Yeah everybody has pretty much said it already, but if you can't shoot it out, you're gonna have to pull it. My advice, to make sure you're as safe as possible when pulling the ball:
1. Take the barrel off the stock so that you can fix it into a vice, and make sure you put wood/ padding between the vice and the barrel so you don't mark up the barrel.
2. Take off the nipple and pour some water through the touch hole into the powder charge. Sure, there's a low chance of ignition, but you're gonna be on the other end of a loaded barrel, so every little precaution helps. Plus, this might help to make it easier to pull the ball.
3. Drill your puller into the ball, take some pliers, and yank that sucker out.

Thanks for all of the responses. Just to clarify - it is not a dry ball. It is a fully charged and patched (with wonder lube) ball. The issue is that the powder I poured down the barrel became saturated with Ballistol that I idiotically left in the barrel from my last range trip, aka, I did not perform a full cleaning of the barrel as I usually do. Dumb and irresponsible to be sure.
I am going to wait get out to the range tomorrow to shoot it out by charging the nipple hole. (which has worked beautifully when I did in fact load a ball without a charge).
***And as a side note - I noticed a few snarky comments. Some of you should just keep those to yourselves. As an RSO I am certain if I watched most of you shoot I would cringe at the safety violations that you are unaware you are committing. But I would not make a snarky comment...I would teach you how to avoid such mistakes in a respectful manner. Try that sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back