Stuck ball in a charged rifle

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
Glad the scraper is out. Now you know where to relieve your scraper or rather what size bore brush to get one size smaller to use to clean out the chambered breech. No more scrapers in that Renegade.

PaJerry

32 Cal
Reaction score
You are correct. Lesson learned.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

jtlancer, how did you make out with your stuck ball?

Jerry

Don H

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Glad you got it out! Thanks for posting, I learned a lot.

Reactions: fjb

PaJerry

32 Cal
Reaction score
Thank you. I did as well...and the barrel looks real good now .

ATB
Jerry

PaJerry

32 Cal
Reaction score
Thanks, it felt good when I saw it drop out of the barrel.

I looked but could not find if jtlancer, the OP, got his stuck ball out. Anyone know if he did? Did he end up shooting it out?

ATB
Jerry

jtlancer

32 Cal
Reaction score
***Update***
So the C02 discharger was useless in my situation. I ended up using a ball puller which immediately dislodged and removed the stuck ball and patch. My last issue is removing the hard. caked powder/ballistol mixture from the breach. Even with the ball out I was unable to blow out the gunk with the discharger. Any suggestions on what to use to break up that gunk? Or should I try shooting it out now that the ball has been removed?

deermanct

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Maybe look at getting a small portable steam cleaner. I got one on Ebay for about 30 dollars. Does a great job of loosening up the crud in the barrel.

jtlancer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Maybe look at getting a small portable steam cleaner. I got one on Ebay for about 30 dollars. Does a great job of loosening up the crud in the barrel.
Hey that is a great idea and luckily I already have one!
Silly question but...you don't think there is any danger of ignition with the heat applied from the steam? I know its water vapor not a spark but I had to ask because this is my frist time trying this method.
:doh:

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey that is a great idea and luckily I already have one!
Silly question but...you don't think there is any danger of ignition with the heat applied from the steam? I know its water vapor not a spark but I had to ask because this is my frist time trying this method.
:doh:
Black powder needs temperatures well over 400°F to ignite. The only way to get steam that hot is to boil the water inside a pressurized tank with the steam under hundreds of psi of pressure so no, your steamer won't set off the black powder.

Now, if you were using a steam locomotive from the 1940's that used superheated steam for your steam supply you might get steam temperatures like that.

jtlancer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Black powder needs temperatures well over 400°F to ignite. The only way to get steam that hot is to boil the water inside a pressurized tank with the steam under hundreds of psi of pressure so no, your steamer won't set off the black powder.

Now, if you were using a steam locomotive from the 1940's that used superheated steam for your steam supply you might get steam temperatures like that.
Good to know!
I am going to try it now. With my little steamer not a locomotive. :)

jtlancer

32 Cal
Reaction score
My little Shark steamer loosened up and then blew out the gunk in under 5 minutes. :)
Thank you, all for your help.

deermanct

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Glad that it worked out for you. I clean up my guns with the little steamer periodically. It does a great job.

SamTex1949

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that he got the ball out and cleaned with steam. :thumb: I got to wondering ? 🙄 Had steam ever been attempted to be the "force" to push a RB out a barrel intentionally ? 😵 I did a quick search with no immediate results. I know we have had interesting examples of compressed air being used (ie; Lewis and Clark Expedition) 🏕

PaJerry

32 Cal
Reaction score
Glad you got it out. Did the steam get the gunk behind it out? I've used a bullet puller alternated with a patch puller to break up and clean out gunk that was left in a barrel.

ATB.

Jerry

Latest posts