• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Striker's Delivered

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vthompson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got my 2 steel striker's that I had ordered from Mike Ameling yesterday, and I am really pleased with them. I used one of them last night to make a fire with because I couldn't wait to try it out.The steel really threw the sparks. My charcloth caught a spark on the 2nd strike.
I want to thank everyone that pointed me in Mikes direction, and I just wanted to say thank's for helping me out.

Glad to hear that they arrived, and have met your expectations. I still worry about such things even after all these years.

Many years ago when I was first starting to learn to start a fire with flint/steel, I started out with several bad strikers. You had to POUND the steel against the flint just to get a few weak sparks. And then a friend gave me a GOOD striker. What a difference that made. So when I started making flint strikers, I knew the level I needed to achieve when making them. It's been a long road, but I think I might have figured things out. Such is the journey we take.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Mike - I'm in the market for a good steel. In fact, I logged oin this morning with the intention of posting a question as to where I can get a GOOD one. Anyway, I've seen good things before, and I've always liked your contributions to the subject whenever making fire came up---so how do I go about looking over your wares and ordering one or two?

Best Regards - Marc

Hey Mikey!(I hate that name! Heard it applied to me too many times)
Anyway, I need a striker for a new kit I'm putting together. As soon as I have the disposable income, I'm going to order one from you. I really like the way they look, and I'm tired of getting strikers from the usual catalogs. Many of them don't work well. I had a blacksmith friend of mine try to reharden one that wasn't sparking well, and the durn thing broke apart while he was trying to heat it in his forge. He figured there must've been a flaw in the metal, and whoever made it didn't notice.
So, the next one I get will be from you.
Lostrifle, mundanely Mike Grossberg.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/jbtusa/100_0345ed-1.jpg
Mike Ameling made these 2 strikers for me. I love the bigger one made of 1/4" material. It is the best sparker that I've ever owned. It is large enough for my big hands and I can get a good grip on it. That makes all the difference. Mike's turn around time is great too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got two of the oval strikers from Mike and I am really pleased with them. They fit my hand well and they really throw the sparks. It is rare that it takes me over 2 strikes to catch a spark.
I highly recommend Mike's strikers.

vthompson said:
I got two of the oval strikers from Mike and I am really pleased with them. They fit my hand well and they really throw the sparks. It is rare that it takes me over 2 strikes to catch a spark.
I highly recommend Mike's strikers.

As you said when you started this thread. :wink:

Marc Adamchek said:
Mike - I'm in the market for a good steel. In fact, I logged oin this morning with the intention of posting a question as to where I can get a GOOD one. Anyway, I've seen good things before, and I've always liked your contributions to the subject whenever making fire came up---so how do I go about looking over your wares and ordering one or two?

Best Regards - Marc

Hello Marc, If you click on Mikes user name and look In his Profile you'll see a Link to his Web-Site and you can see all the different style's of Flint Strikers In his Gallery, He sure make's some real Nice Striker's In many shapes/designs of Historicaly correct Flint Strikers, Take Care,

Kenny

My 2 steels came in the mail yesterday and I've been like a dumb kid with new toys - outside strikin' up sparks and startin' little fires in the backyard patio every evening! They're truly great. One's a latter 18th centtury colonial and the other's a Hudson Bay oval. I love 'em both! Another thing - they're nicely sized for easy packing, too.

I ordered two more strikers from Mike myself the other day. I am going to give them as Christmas gifts this year to my two son's.
I am going to set them up in a tinder box to hold everything in.

I want to Thank You for Starting this Topic, I Ordered some Flint Strikers from Mikey just last week after reading your Topic, And he was Out of Town and got them Shipped as soon as he got Back In Town, He's Great to Deal With, And make's some Very Nice Flint Striker's, These just came In the Mail Today, And Spark's have been Flying All Day,

ajkl0z.jpg

Thank's Mikey you did an "Excellent Job on These Flint Strikers,

Doctor - I forgot to give you a big "THANKS" for your help in tracking down the info on Mike's steels, which directly led to my purchases. Seems like we "over 50" types gotta depend on each other sometimes!(I'm 55, going on 24) Glad to see you picked up some yourself, a really interesting looking bunch of strikers they are, too. Quality sure is a fine thing, no?

Your Welcome Marc,I'm Glad you got your Order In Mikeys Work on the Flint Strikers Is Excellent and they really throw the Spark's,I really like all the Unique and Historicaly Correct Strikers that he make's and I'm gonna try and build a small collection on them, Take Care !

Kenny

Thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated.

But a little ... full disclosure or true confessions here. I ran into a batch of bad steel with a couple strikers I sent John (jbtusa). The first Roman era C striker broke on him. It does happen sometimes, so I sent him a replacement and an extra. But the steel I used for those two ended up bad also, and they broke. So I made and sent another large C striker to John from different steel. Every now and then an old hay dumprake tooth just is ... bad. I made 3 strikers out of this one before I realized it just had/has internal problems. So the scrap pile gained that rod of steel.

One note for Ed Osmar. I tried to reply to your email, but it bounced twice. If you send me a private topic here, I can send the answer to you.

Thanks
Mikey

Since personal discussions aren't allowed in the forums, shouldn't these be private topics (or email) between the seller and the customer? :confused:

It sounds like a lot of this should go in the "reviews" section?

Hello Trucker, I like Collecting Flint Strikers, If your looking for some Well Made & Unique Flint Srikers Mikey make's a wide variety of them Check out his Site If you get time, :thumbsup:

Another accolade for Mike Ameling: his honesty! Mike replaced the broken fire steels and refused extra payment to cover the extra postage. (Mike was so good about the replacements that I sent him extra money anyway.)

Snake Dr, or should I say Kenny!...Show some respect! This fine Blacksmith's first name is Mike or Micheal! .... Not Mikey! Mikey is the kid on old TV commerials who eats everything!

Vthompson, Everybody here is glad you received your Strikers, but you really don't have to announce every delivery!

This message was brought to you by the other Old Grumpy German!

:dead: :dead: :dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back