• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strap Options for Day Horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK

Smollett
Reaction score
I bought a small day horn, about 8" long. When looking a strap options, most seem too large for such a small horn. Any HC recommendations for something a bit more subtle so the horn won't be "overpowered"?

Thanks Smollett

I got a length of leather strap from Track of the Wolf. It's about 3/8" wide and ideal for my 8" long day horn:

LACE-LATIGO-3 . . . $3.59

necchi said:
A leather Boot lace?

Same here. The horn I use in the woods is small and gets slung under my right arm on a leather lace. Works for me and looks good too. I`ve also got some cord that I braided from yarn. Something like that would work if you want more color than leather.

These are super suggestions. A related question: is there an ideal and/or HC length for such a strap. Where were these small horns typicallycarried (when suspended)? Up high under the arm? Down by the waist?

Thanks!

Smollett

The horn could be attached to the shooting pouch straps by small short straps of leather. Leave a few inches of attaching strap between the horn & the pouch straps so that you can manipulate the horn for pouring into your measure. A thin leather strap would also work if you want bag & horn kept separate. The CLA site often has woven straps listed with some as narrow as 3/4". I have seen woven straps in 1/2" widths. As to carry, it is a personal preference. If all you are going to do is stand at a firing range, waist high will work but as soon as you move faster than a sedate walk or try to cover rougher ground, those low slung bags & horns will be flapping everywhere & a higher carry will work better.

Smollett said:
Where were these small horns typically carried (when suspended)?
Always a controversy,, bottom line there is no "norm" it is now as it's always been in history,, up to the individual.
I think I'm like most (even historically) under the arm but not too high, I want to be able to walk/run without it flopping around, but I don't want it jammed in my arm pit either.

But, like others my "day horn" is in a pouch.

Smollett said:
A related question: is there an ideal and/or HC length for such a strap.
It's my general impression that in the 18th century and earlier the horn was carried on a separate strap from the pouch, and in early 19th century it became more common to attach the horn to the strap of the pouch.

It also seems that early on the horns were large, the pouches small, and that reversed in early 19th century, with a smaller horn attached to the strap of a larger pouch.

Spence

Stumpkiller,

Those are great links. Ya'll are gonna make me start playin dress up too. I thought that I'd had enough of that in the Army but this is just too much fun! :surrender:

George said:
I carry mine in my shot pouch, it has no strap.

Spence

Same here.

Aside from limiting tangles in the brush, something else drove me to eliminate the strap:

With so little bulk and weight in the horn, it tends to wander all over tarnation when you're actively moving around. Comes time to need it for a load, and you can be hunting all over your body for the darned thing. It's just not prone to hanging down where it belongs.

First step was to move it onto the bag straps, situated so it rested right below the seam of the flap. Much better, and in a place where I could squeeze it with my elbow along with the bag when the going got tough. But still one more thing to hang in the brush.

Finally took it off the bag because I didn't have enough day horns to go around, letting me keep one on each bag, my usual way of staying organized (each gun has its own bag). Finally just quit mounting it, and dropped it into whichever bag I was using.

Don't really care about dissecting the few historic references when the practical side has such clear answers.

Our ancestors would have been very practical people out of necessity and I`m sure the way they did a lot of things was based on what worked best for their individual situations. Unless they were rich high society type people they probably didn`t care at all about the "correct" way something was done. I`ll bet lots of little horns were just dropped into a pouch or pocket.

As far as straps go, here`s something else that was around and could have been used back in the day.http://www.burnleyandtrowbridge.com/worstedwoollaceandbraid.aspx

I think most people know how to braid three strands. Get some leather straps and braid to your desired length. I have also used macramé and added beads and other items in the knots. These are just a couple of ideas and easy to do and can be as thick or thin as you want by the size of the material you use.

Ike

Maybe some others have already had this idea but I usually try to hit several auctions and farm sales in my area. There is usually a pile of old horse harness and tack. Some times if your lucky it will be moldy and nasty looking and you can get it cheap. Some elbow grease and neatsfoot oil and you have a lot of usable leather. The reins are especially nice for horns and even some bags, belt axe carriers and such.

George said:
I carry mine in my shot pouch, it has no strap.

Spence

Same for me. I carried it on a leather string for a while, and tried a narrow canvas strap. Putting it in my pouch was just easier.

Back