• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight Razor Shaving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just keep mine in its leather case in my bedroom. With a light coat of oil on it.

Yeah, put a valve with a timer on it in the hot water line. That will stop that excessive steam being created in the bathroom.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Okay, all this right hand/left hand manure doesn't even relate to my shaving experience. I started out with a pretty good straight razor and after a few transfusions, gave up straight razor shaving. Then, the more I read, the more I decided I failed at Honing 101 and I was trying to shave with a blunt hunk of metal.

Then, I was at my barber, who shaved my neck with a straight razor and I asked him what he used......a straight razor with replaceable blades. AHAAH!! You learn something new every day. Maybe I could get away from having a dull blade. I bought a stainless steel Parker and started using it a few days ago (I have a beard, so my shaving is mostly trimming). First time I cut under my nose and like to bled to death. Shaved tonight and only had a small abrasion. I have finally discovered the trick....CARE. You cannot shave with the same carelessness you do with a safety razor. Right hand/left hand is miles away for me. Backwards with my right hand is as far as I can go.

I'm getting there!
:doh: :redface: :idunno:

Deano, I have one of the disposeable straights. Gives a very nice shave that is very easy on the face. That's where I got into straight razor shaving is when I was in Afghanistan we retained a local guy who came in to give us haircuts. I went in for a daily morning shave. He used one of those disposeable straight jobs. After that I liked the way a single blade shaved. I began learning and got a real straight. Since then it's been a lot of trial and error. I can say this there is nothing like a great freshly stropped blade shave. I know when I get the perfect mixture with the soap and lather it up just right. I don't ever plan on going back to an electric shave and surely not to a disposeable blade.

If you are prone to a few nicks keep a good stypitc pen handy it will make your life a whole lot easier. Biggest whoopses I've had is cutting the top of my ear where it meets the rest of my cocunut where I start my shaving. After awhile switching hands gets pretty easy. A big thing to learn is which way your beard grows and the type of cut needed with the blade to properly shear the whiskers away. A good barber can run their hand across your face and feel what needs to be done. After awhile you can do the same with a little practice, amazing what a guy learns once he starts with a straight.

deano said:
Okay, all this right hand/left hand manure doesn't even relate to my shaving experience. I started out with a pretty good straight razor and after a few transfusions, gave up straight razor shaving. Then, the more I read, the more I decided I failed at Honing 101 and I was trying to shave with a blunt hunk of metal.

Then, I was at my barber, who shaved my neck with a straight razor and I asked him what he used......a straight razor with replaceable blades. AHAAH!! You learn something new every day. Maybe I could get away from having a dull blade. I bought a stainless steel Parker and started using it a few days ago (I have a beard, so my shaving is mostly trimming). First time I cut under my nose and like to bled to death. Shaved tonight and only had a small abrasion. I have finally discovered the trick....CARE. You cannot shave with the same carelessness you do with a safety razor. Right hand/left hand is miles away for me. Backwards with my right hand is as far as I can go.

I'm getting there!
:doh: :redface: :idunno:

Yes! Care! I only use a straight when I have at least 30 minutes to shave. I always use a cup of boiling water to dip my brush in so you get a hot lather every time you apply the shaving soap. Small, light, short strokes is what gets it done. Use that 30 degree angle and the frame of mind that you are "scraping" your whiskers off instead of angling your blade to "cut" your whiskers off.

Just go slow and keep the skin stretch tight; always! For me that's the secret for not getting cut. Keep the skin tight. After a few months, shaving with the straight doesn't take much more time than using a safety. It becomes fun and is something to look forward to.

curious but it never really occured to me that i was doing it, but now that you mention it, i do pull and tug at my face as i shave... it was my intention that i get the right angle to trim where the beard stops and the rest of the world begins ...

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Time to take on a 3/4 hollow 5/8" restore project. Anyone know where the best place is to get a Norton 4/8K stone?

An article today in our local newspaper featured a new full service barbershop and straight razor men's shop that is open in my area. Kinda pricey, but it looks pretty neat! It's a chain called "The Art of Shaving" there's a page where you can locate a store near you, if anyone is interested. And they sell razors, brushes, and all the fixings for sale right in the shop apparently.
http://www.theartofshaving.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Great find, especially for the TI straights. They don't have stones or strops though...

Yea Jb. I didn't see any stones on their website. But I did see one strop they had for sale. Would be interesting to check it out, but I don't think I'd lay down $35 for a shave. :idunno:

I'm going to check out the new TI straights. One of the reviews on that website commented that the TI's are heavier built than the new Dovo's. Maybe they're as close to an almost-wedge as one can find now-days. Therefore, they're probably more historically correct too. Wedges are the Cadillacs!

It seems to me that they have really good prices on the Thiers-Issard blades! From other sites I've seen, the TI razors are a bit on the steep side as far as price goes.

Ok, time to break down and buy a stone. Does anyone have any experience with the Norton 4/8K stone? Will it finish the edge?

Pete: Those are beauties! Drool.....

Back