• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storage of Powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SharkByte said:
I was wondering, what is the safest way to store my powder?

Thanks,
- $h@rK
FWIW, I store my case of Goex in the same cardboard box it got shipped across the country in, on the floor in the bottom of a spare closet I use to store various hunting things in.
There's no activity or any kind of traffic in and out of the closet, nothing that's going to set it on fire except the house being completely engulfed in flames, etc, etc

in a lidded, locked, wooden box in my yard building about 100 feet from the house, and at least 150' from the "inhabited" parts of the house..Hank

I store mine in a large insulated aluminum ice chest with a padlock on it, out in a building.

If you want to build a powder magazine, here are the plans for it. Or you can buy a powder magazine from The Maine Powder House.

powdermag.jpg

I use the powder magazine described above---I purchased it from the Maine Powder House several years ago. It's sturdily made unit with double locks, and does meet local and Federal standards. The only admonition is to keep this to yourself, within your community, once the "authorities" get wind of it---your goose will be cooked with more regulations than you could ever dream. :hatsoff:

Pasquenel said:
".....Federal standards....."

:confused:
My understanding of the model sold by the Maine powder house is that it holds no more than 50lbs.

There are no federal regs dictating any storage requirements for BP up to and including 50lbs.

What federal standards are you referring to?

roundball said:
Pasquenel said:

My understanding of the model sold by the Maine powder house is that it holds no more than 50lbs.

There are no federal regs dictating any storage requirements for BP up to and including 50lbs.

I believe that storage regulations for black powder are set by each individual state"s fire marshall. Some states require a powder magazine with four wheels and a handle like on a kid's wagon. Some states also require you to tell the local fire department where on your property you store the powder. Also, while the federal government allows private possession of up to 50 pounds, some states have much stricter quantity regulations. For example, in Illinois, a person can only legally posess a maximum of 5 pounds.

Randy Hedden

Got one of those big 'ol Centurian gun safes, fire rated 60 mins. The powder all goes in there. Got kids in the house, all of the gun stuff goes in the safe! - 5 lbs. in Ill.! Glad there are no such rules here, I'd be guilty several times over on that one! :rotf:

I would think that it all depends on what your household is made up of. Little kids, no kids, etc. There is just the wife and me...and I normally do not keep more than a couple of pounds at one time...keep mine on a bookshelf in my office. Years back, I did a lot of smokeless powder reloading...maybe had 10 to 20 pounds or so on hand...kept that the same way. Oh yeah, it is a good idea to keep quiet about what you have, not only is each state and community different...you never know about your neighbors either.

Thanks, this is all very helpful :) .

I love to build things, so I will probably end up making one of thouse boxes.

Thanks,
- $h@rK

Harddog said:
roundball said:
Pasquenel said:

I believe that storage regulations for black powder are set by each individual state"s fire marshall. Some states require a powder magazine with four wheels and a handle like on a kid's wagon. Some states also require you to tell the local fire department where on your property you store the powder. Also, while the federal government allows private possession of up to 50 pounds, some states have much stricter quantity regulations. For example, in Illinois, a person can only legally posess a maximum of 5 pounds.

Randy Hedden

Right...my question was about the referenced "Federal Standards" for a powder magazine...

If it is stored loose it just flares up. Very dramatically with a whoosh!. All confined within a few feet of the one pound can or flask. Hair spray cans, ect. are more scary... Been in hundreds of house fires. I am just an old Fireman. The things going on when you are in a burning building/house are wild. Please don't confine stuff in ammo boxes or the like. Just store it on a shelf or something. Thanks. :)

G. W. Gill said:
If it is stored loose it just flares up. Very dramatically with a whoosh!. All confined within a few feet of the one pound can or flask. Hair spray cans, ect. are more scary... Been in hundreds of house fires. I am just an old Fireman. The things going on when you are in a burning building/house are wild. Please don't confine stuff in ammo boxes or the like. Just store it on a shelf or something. Thanks. :)

:thumbsup:

roundball said:
Harddog said:
roundball said:
Pasquenel said:

Randy Hedden

Right...my question was about the referenced "Federal Standards" for a powder magazine...

Roundball,

Just agreeing with you and stating that I don't believe their are any "Federal Standards" for storing of powder. That is in lots of less than 50 pounds.

Randy Hedden

Containing powder in boxes makes the destructive power even worse. If your able to have it out or locked in a gun room or shed that would probably be best.
I know areound here theres state and federal regs onw hat your suppossed to do as far as storage.
I remember this summer we had a house fire and the guy was an ammo collector. He told the fired department to watch out his garage was loaded with ammo.
The put the fire out and sealed the scene until the ATF went over every damn thing they could find and the local news made this guy out to be part of Usamas crew until the ATF said it was all legal but not properly stored.
IM sure theres some regs on a powder storage container they have but I never really looked into it.
I figure you start shaking the bushes your gonna end up on some paperwork somewhere and permits and insurance companies will be next.
Just imagine insurance companies finding out you have 5 pounds or 25 pounds of fffg in your garage.

The humanity!

Back