• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

starting load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgreek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just ordered a new Lyman .50 cal. GPR 32" barrel 1-60" twist. Iwould like to know what a good starting load toget the rifle sighted in. i plan on using Goex FFg. any sugestions will be most appreceiated.

This is a round ball barrel. What ball diameter are you going to use? Have you measured the bore with calipers? Most of these guns shoot a .490" diameter ball well, but a few do better with a .495" ball. What thickness patching? Most shoot well with .015" patching, but others need thicker patching.

What powder? Real Black Powder or a sub?

What distance are you wanting to zero the gun for?

I am shooting a Green Mountain Barrel with a 1:48" ROT, using .490 balls, .020" patching, Wonder lube, 60 grains of FFg Goex Powder, and have the gun zeroed to shoot 2 inches high at 50 yds. That puts it about 2 inches low at 100 yds with 75 grains of FFg powder in my flintlock. My barrel is 39" long, which is longer than yours. For target work, I use a Walter's Fiber Wad in .510" diameter over the powder to seal gases. I also lube the barrel after seating the PRB.

When I build a new rifle I generally don't worry about sighting it in completly at first. I generally bring it in so it will print on the paper at 50 yards. I then find the best load for the rifle, shuffling load, patch and ball to get the tightest group.

I use non-adjustable sights on my rifles so I wait to do the final sight in until after I have found the best load. If you are using adjustable sights you don't have this worry.

With a .50 I would start with 50 grains, a .015 patch and a .490 ball. I generally use a lighter load for 25 and 50 yard target work and and sight in there. I'm lazy, so I go up in load to get it to print at the same point of aim at 100 yards. That is the load I use for hunting also.

It will take a bit of work to find the right charge, ball and patch combo. When you do, you will be amazed at how well the rifle will group in there.

I have had a gpr for years. My load is 100gr 2f goex,.495 speer or hornandy ball. Ticking .015 I like a spit patch for the range. With this load from the bench on a good day I can keep 10 shots all in the black on a sr-1 target at 100 yds. I wipe after every shot. I have used 90 gr 3f. Start lower and work up. 50gr has me on at 25 yds. Rember start low and work up. Jim

thanks guys for all the good advise on a starting load. i am new to muzzleloading and cant wait to get to the range with my new rifle. i have a good friend who introduced me to muzzleloading awhile back and ive wanted a gun of my own ever since. :bow:

I have the same as yours.After getting the oil crud out of the new barrel,I polished the bore up with 0000 steel wool and oil followed by soapy water,rinse.Really helped accuracy.Both my Lymans like .020 pillow.Play with both .490 and .495 RB's.See what yours likes.My 50 load is 80grs of FFg.

Back