• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stainless 2nd Gen. Colt 1860

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, the similarities between the Colt and the imports swayed me from spending the extra money. Like you, I wanted a shooter, not a safe queen. The fact that a good portion of the Colt is made with Uberti castings was the clincher.
They have a classified section over there, probably the best clientele for you.

The 2nd Gen Colt is still a Colt. I have uberties, Piettas and one Colt so far with one on the way. The Colt I have is a far better firearm than the others. As for extra money, $450 for an unfired 2nd Gen. v/s even an Uberti made today isn't a hard choice. The folks wanting $1000 for a second Gen Colt won't hear from me.

To MHB and Willy.
Please take no offense.
The last thing I would do is try to make any of my BP guns shoot like tack drivers. I did the micro-measure + on all my long range rifles that I reload for and the 500 yard shots don't scare me. For the last few years I have enjoyed going back to black and relaxing. I now consider accuracy, with those weapons, to be minute of man or varmit. :surrender:

No occasion for offense...
I shoot everything which goes bang (and some stuff which does not), and hold strongly to COL Whelen's tenet that 'only accurate (arms) are interesting'.
I realize, of course, that different classes of arms are subject to the laws of physics, and that some types are inherently capable of better average accuracy than others.
Having said that, I am satisfied (from experience) that the best of muzzleloading (rifled) arms, are capable of accuracy not much different from cartridge arms, within the more limited range proper to the ballistic characteristics of the ammunition.
I expect percussion revolvers, when properly made and handled, to shoot accurately, and have owned and shot enough of them to know this is not an unreasonable expectation.
I've also examined enough of such arms in detail (and shot them)to know that far from all of the modern reproductions are well-made enough to deliver really good performance in shooting.
I am not personally able to judge the 2nd Gen. Colt revolvers on their shooting merits, not having actually shot any, but only on their apparent workmanship and measureable critical dimensions - and the one specimen I have to work with does not 'measure up' as well as I expected and hoped it would. It MIGHT shoot better than I'd believe, but the dilemma is: if I shoot it, whether I'm satisfied with its accuracy or not, I make it a used gun, and thereby lower the collector value (just how much is apparently debatable).
Reallistically, I suppose I should just send it along to a collector, who isn't as concerned as I am with its shooting properties.
mhb - Mike

I have quite a few firearms that were unfired when I got them. I suppose I'm a bad boy but none of them are unfired anymore! :) I can hardly wait for that Pocket Navy to get here.

mhb, I think we're kindred spirits when it comes to what we want from our firearms. My brother from another mother...

While the stainless steel does not turn me on, I would tend to shoot it. It may be rare or an oddity but it will never be a museum piece and you will never get rich off of it. What it roots down to is do you want to keep it or not? Sounds like you bought something you really did not want or need. Been there and done that too many times.
I still have 3 2nd gens, a '60 bought new when they came out, a '51 Navy an oddity its self, unplated brass gripframe and trigger guard and a '62 pocket Navy.
I will look in my Colt book and see what it says and get back.

Scott

GST:
Well, you certainly nailed me there...
You know how it goes at auctions: some things go for prices way above their real value, and some go for less than they are really worth - the Colt was one of the latter (I also bought a really nice H&K 300 rifle in .22WMR, with H&K mount and Leupold 3-9X scope for a whole lot less than it was worth, and a very nice Browning Challenger .22 pistol which also went for cheap).
But I actually do want an 1860 shooter, and the Colt was a very attractive candidate, at a very good price. It is also a bit of a dilemma, which we are now working-through.
mhb - Mike

To whom ever I am talking to. Hello and merry christmas. I've been searching the web, gun dealers, friends, etc. for 3 months trying to solve a situation I have. Tonight I ran into this forum in my search and you are talking about 1860 colt army stainless steel 2nd generation pistols. I signed up about an hour ago and took until now to figure out how to kind off use this. I was robbed of about 50 +/- pistols and am looking to replace some of them. One that I use (used) a lot was my 1860 colt. I really do not want barred from this site for doing any thing wrong, just hoping I can find some one who can help or send me in the right direction. Does any one know who, where, how, etc. I may be able to obtain one that is new in the box? Any help that can be given is greatly appreciated. I'd be forever indebted to them for their efforts. I'm not a dealer just an old guy that got robbed and misses his pistol.

Feel free to e-mail me. Not good at this computer stuff, trying my best. I'll provide any contact info required if need be.

Hope you have a great holiday,
Sincerely,
J. A. LeFevre

Before some one asks, Yes my family use to make lefevre shot guns.

Hello J.A. and welcome aboard. Please thoroughly explore this site it is chocked full of interesting and informative information on a wide variety of topics. All provided by some very friendly folks.

As to your question, one thing you could do is go to the 'classifieds' section of the forum and the second section down is labeled 'Firearms Wanted'. Place you an ad in there and you never know, some member might have just what you want. :wink:

Thank you so much. I'll try the add thing. Have not quite figured out how it works. I'm kind of a farm boy/mountain guy. Much easier to say your name, shake hands, spit on the ground and go from there.

Yes I've been reading a lot of posts. Some very interesting conversations.

J. A. LeFevre

Mr. Flint Striker,
Thanks for the advice about the Colt. I was up until 3am trying to get in the ad section. Finally gave up. Got it figured out today. You are a very good/helpful person. Also, have read about 75% of the forum stuff. Heck of a lot of info all together. I'll keep reading. Right now your kind gesture is very welcoming. Must say one thing about the stuff I've been reading they seem to think 1960/70 is old. I think the newest gun I still own is from 1872 or 1873 and the oldest from about 1690 +/- and they work just fine.

Thank you,

J. A. LeFevre

Welcome to the forum. :)

If your bound and determined to have a stainless 1860 Colt, don't get your hopes up too high.
They are a pretty rare item.

If you could be happy with a blued, steel frame 1860 Colt there are several Italian companies who make them.
Uberti is usually rated as the best and if we're talking about new in the box pistols, Pettia has come a long way from the old days and its quality comes close to Uberti.

Zonie,
Thanks for the reply. You may be right. Also, I just like to say this is a very good site so glade I found it. I guess I should add to this over all string off posts. What got me started was some one going as mhb that bought a 1860 and seemed like he does not really want it. wants to know what it is worth, how it shoots, etc. from that they also refer to another site which I signed up on hoping to find one (colt). You and flintstriker have my thanks for your help. Ever need some thing just let me know. I really mean that not just talking foolishly.

Now about the 1860 bought mine new 18 Dec. 1983. The stainless steel is easier to keep clean than blued steel. I have put thousands of rounds thru the one I had. I have a lot of dirt and carry/carried it almost daily. I'm not a measurer of every thing kind of guy ..... bore dims., parts tolerances etc. I just shoot a lot. Almost every gun I ever owned or presently own is black powder. 1st gun I ever had was an english fowler flint lock from my dad at age 8 that was 50+/- years ago. Shot a lot of stuff with it, and still have it. The colt shoots great in my book. This is only my experience and not gospel by any sense of the word but, in my experience people want to make black powder work like the other kind. Big no no. Velocities are less and if you push them to high things go wild from the barrel and very inconsistent. The twist rate is slower (less turns ) shoot to fast things do not work. If you use moderate charges by volume, real lead, round not deformed the pistol will hit any thing you want it to hit and where you want. Oh and use "real" black powder not knock off stuff. Also, grease the chambers shut big mistake not to do this, you want to shoot not put on a fireworks display. The 1860 for me is very well balanced and for me seems very natural to use. All guns have some flaws right out of the box (most "production" guns). If you take the colt apart and hand hone all the trigger parts very, very, carefully things work amazingly well. Oh you need to mess with the spring also. Like all things after you become one with it it will never ever let you down.
I've shot the "knockoffs" and even have a few, they are just not the same. You can tell in the dark, again my opinion may not be true for every one. I shoot down at my barn every sunday after noon rain or shine cold or hot for about 3 or 4 hours. That makes things go very well in the big picture and teaches you a lot about your firearm and how it works. you find what is the correct load for what your shooting, which cylinder is out of whack, etc. Oh that also, for some reason one chamber in the cylinder is usually off for some reason. You need to mess with it awhile to figure it out. Once you do just keep it empty. I tease my wife and tell her it is my/her bury money like the old guys use to do. Just roll up a $20 and stick it in the bad chamber. Guess today she needs a few $100's.
If mhb or any one needs firing info just ask. I'll tell you what ever I can from what I know and remember I sure do not know every thing there is to know, not even close.
Last thing as for price or worth of the 1860 I've seen sold adds from $700/$800 to $2,000.00 or so. I'm finding the price is not the issue, it's finding a willing seller.

Hope I have not bored every one to death,

Thanks to all,

J. A. LeFevre

Latest posts

Back