• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield Hawken .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn_c992001

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This rifle was given to me by my father in law last year. I have been messing with it ever since. Different powder, powder charge, over powder card/wad, patches, lube, balls and bullets. Group size at 30 yards is 6-8" at best. A patch doesn't snag, drag, or rub when being past through the rifle. But still when fired patches are riddled. The pictures below are after the barrel was treated to some lapping compound (500 passes)on a few patches wrapped around a brush. These were followed by toothpaste (200 passes). Then a good cleaning with some alcohol. Firing today was the same group size as the best load so far. Think it's time for a rebore?

That is one shiny rough bore! It is time to refresh or rebore! :hmm: :idunno: :hmm:

Bore look pretty pitted,
First what's your load combo?

As far as re-bore, none of the shop's that do a re-bore will do a barrel with this type of breech.
CVA, Traditions and others,,
They won't do it.

CVA1.jpg

The best load is 90 grains of Pyrodex RS, a .030" card, blue stripe pillow ticking from the local Wally World, and a .495" round ball.

The bore in that rifle looks pretty pitted to me. I'd suggest a re-bore to a larger caliber by a good, knowledgeable gunsmith... or a complete barrel replacement if that's "do-able".

The next logical bore-size is a .54 caliber which is an excellent caliber for serious hunting, especially of larger big game like elk or moose, but at this point, I can't be sure a .54 caliber re-boring job will be "enough" re-boring... depending on how deep the worst pits are.

But I believe it's very likely "decision-time" from the looks of that rifle's bore.

Jus' my 2¢.... :v

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Maybe try some fire lapping. First with a coarse or medium lapping compound and then fine. I don't really think you have much to loose at this point but I can still see rifling so maybe some hope.

IMO, that barrel is beyond lapping or polishing. The pits are much too deep.

If it has a Made In Spain stamp on the barrel it most likely has the CVA Patent breech design.

As was mentioned, most barrel makers don't like to work on those barrels.

That leaves either trying to buy a new barrel from Deer Creek or just using the gun as a fun plinker is the best choice.

If on the other hand the gun was made in Italy, some barrel makers might rebore it to a larger caliber.

Deer Creek can be reached at:

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182

(765) 525-6181

They do not have a web site but they are good people and are the supplier for all of the old Spanish gun parts in the U.S.

Time for a new barrel. That barrel can not be freshed as it is a CVA as mentioned by another poster.
It can be used for a pistol barrel or two if you went through all the bother, but it would be better suited for a tomato stake.

Sorry, it is what it is.

It does have made in Spain right on there. Guess it's time to dig up a Mason jar from under the old maple tree.

Have you tried low charges? Like 30 or so grains. Might be an ok Squirrel rifle with light loads. Prob not but you aren't out much by trying. :) Larry

Could you explain how "fire lapping" would help?
Just curious?

A pitted barrel is one like that in the photo's,, where metal has been corroded away, how would "fire lapping", something that's supposed to remove more metal help?

I guess what he's got to loose is the cost of the fire lapping compound and/or projectiles along with the powder an caps required to shoot it, :idunno:

New barrel from Deer Creek,, $80-90 + shipping.

Even repeated lapping of any kind only removes a thousandth or two of an inch or so from the surfaces.

The pits in that bore are at least ten thousandths deep and some of them look to be .020 deep.

As was suggested, some very light powder charges like 25-30 grains might make a close range plinker or squirrel rifle out of it.

IMO, powder loads greater than that will blow the patch all to hell.

necchi said:
Could you explain how "fire lapping" would help?
Just curious?

A pitted barrel is one like that in the photo's,, where metal has been corroded away, how would "fire lapping", something that's supposed to remove more metal help?

I guess what he's got to loose is the cost of the fire lapping compound and/or projectiles along with the powder an caps required to shoot it, :idunno:

New barrel from Deer Creek,, $80-90 + shipping.

I don't really know for sure but I have heard of some people have really badly pitted bores and working them and getting them to shoot reasonably well. They didn't summit pictures like this one so how bad they were is anyones guess.
He asked for suggestions and it looks like he has little to loose. He wouldn't get all the pitting out but may smooth it up enough to make it a plinker for some fun shooting. Of coarse it's his choice to try something else of move on.

Latest posts

Back