• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield 1842

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet, I was never offered a trade like that for my services. Last week I picked an 1842 in the same beautiful condition but with the barrel bobbed 2". The price was half of normal so I was happy as Harpers Ferry pieces bring a premium around here being locally produced. Harpers Ferry is on the other side of Elk Ridge, across the river that powered the machinery. Pretty cool to hold and know it's a product of the Potomac river. I'm considering sending the barrel to Bobby Hoyt to be stretched with a liner to restore it's original appearance.
harpersferry1842.jpg

Some years ago I bought an 1842 repro , and had it lined to shoot the Lyman minie ball. Shooting it is a treat. It is accurate to a fault. With 60+ gr. of FFG , the big minnie ball makes a notable hissing noise between muzzle and target. Would love to kill a deer or hog w/it , but unless I'm in a stand, it's too heavy for me to carry any more......oldwood

I would be interested in finding out what PA regiments were still carrying them.

I think this would be a good minimum investment to answer that question in detail:

An Introduction to Civil War Small Arms [Paperback] Earl J. Coates (Author), Dean S. Thomas (Author) | Gettysburg Museum Of History

However, if you KNOW a particular Regiment you wish to enquire about, then it's sometimes better to go looking for them.

Potter County Soldiers were in Company K of the 149th PA Regiment at the Battle of Gettysburg, if that is your interest.

149th Pennsylvania Volunteers, Company K Muster Roll (pa-roots.com)

More info on the 149th:

History of Pennsylvania volunteers, 1861-5; prepared in compliance with acts of the legislature, by Samuel P. Bates. (umich.edu)

Gus

I think this would be a good minimum investment to answer that question in detail:

An Introduction to Civil War Small Arms [Paperback] Earl J. Coates (Author), Dean S. Thomas (Author) | Gettysburg Museum Of History

However, if you KNOW a particular Regiment you wish to enquire about, then it's sometimes better to go looking for them.

Potter County Soldiers were in Company K of the 149th PA Regiment at the Battle of Gettysburg, if that is your interest.

More info on the 149th:

History of Pennsylvania volunteers, 1861-5; prepared in compliance with acts of the legislature, by Samuel P. Bates. (umich.edu)

Gus
Appreciate the help, thank you.

Sweet, I was never offered a trade like that for my services. Last week I picked an 1842 in the same beautiful condition but with the barrel bobbed 2". The price was half of normal so I was happy as Harpers Ferry pieces bring a premium around here being locally produced. Harpers Ferry is on the other side of Elk Ridge, across the river that powered the machinery. Pretty cool to hold and know it's a product of the Potomac river. I'm considering sending the barrel to Bobby Hoyt to be stretched with a liner to restore it's original appearance.
View attachment 74778
Very nice. Just my opinion, but I would send it to Hoyt. Take care and good luck.

A little off topic, but I've seen quite a few barrels Bobby has stretched and they were all excellently done. One I remember vividly was an 1855 Harpers Ferry Rifle that had about 11" originally whacked off the muzzle. When the owner got it back, I could not tell where he had stretched it under high magnification using an Opti Visor!!

Gus

A little off topic, but I've seen quite a few barrels Bobby has stretched and they were all excellently done. One I remember vividly was an 1855 Harpers Ferry Rifle that had about 11" originally whacked off the muzzle. When the owner got it back, I could not tell where he had stretched it under high magnification using an Opti Visor!!

Gus
I agree, I have seen his work, very well done.

More info on the 149th:

Gus
I have a soft spot for the 149th PAThey are kind of my home town team.

Even though I am not originally from Potter County, and my direct ancestors served in the 13th WV Inf, 53rd and 55th KY Mounted Inf and 54th VA Inf, I do like to read and learn about the 149th PA Inf as they are my favorite regiment in the Civil War.

A bit off topic, the 46th PA and 53rd PA had companies (dont know which ones right now) formed in Potter County as well.

Thanks for the links and take care.

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik

The 79th was a Scottish unit they also had the 42, I do not live far from where they fought at Antietam, Also have re-searched and put together a regimental dress uniform of the 79th, the Gettysburg museum has a lot of there uniform parts and was allowed too photo and measure those in order to re-create the uniform, The hardest part was finding the correct N.Y. number 30 domed buttons but found them in a suttlery in Fredericksburg Va. very flashy regiment on parade in the early war years.

The 79th was a Scottish unit they also had the 42, I do not live far from where they fought at Antietam, Also have re-searched and put together a regimental dress uniform of the 79th, the Gettysburg museum has a lot of there uniform parts and was allowed too photo and measure those in order to re-create the uniform, The hardest part was finding the correct N.Y. number 30 domed buttons but found them in a suttlery in Fredericksburg Va. very flashy regiment on parade in the early war years.
I'm 10 miles from Antietam and 4 from Harpers Ferry as the crow flies. I've recovered a lot of .69 buck and ball from the top of Elk Ridge where the Battle of Maryland Heights was fought Sept14 leading up to the surrender of the Union of Harpers ferry prior to Antietam. Didn't think about it until just now but my newly acquired Harpers Ferry 1842 could have been there sending buck and ball down range.

My apologies I was confused. I thought you meant the 79th was part of the Irish Brigade. 🤦‍♂️

I have read a bit about the 79th and their Highland Dress. Photos are neat to look as well.

My apologies I was confused. I thought you meant the 79th was part of the Irish Brigade. 🤦‍♂️

I have read a bit about the 79th and their Highland Dress. Photos are neat to look as well.

And if the legend is true, the 79th did not give up their Great Kilts and Philabeags easily when ordered to conform to standard Army uniform regulations.

Gus

there is not a joy in life better than making Smoak with an original, I mean it is not the same as it is with a bench made one or a reproduction, gun nothing!!

Latest posts

Back