• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring vices: do I need more than one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what breaks them is vice grip over compression of the spring.

This has been a very informative thread. Being a bit of a tool nerd, I've ended up with two mainspring vises (vise vs. vice... Different words for different things...) as well as the frizzen spring vise shown by rickstyl . The plain old, military-issue mainspring vise that I have works better than the fancier modern version. The frizzen spring vise was expensive, around fifty bucks when I bought it some years ago, but is handier for for its intended purpose than vise grips or the conventional mainspring vise. I was participating in some events that required having a flash guard on the flintlock muskets at that time, and the frizzen spring vise worked well for installing or removing the guard.

I did not know about the vise made by Tom Curran until reading this thread. Thanks to the brother who posted the link to Tom's website! This looks like a great tool, versatile and sensible, but also compact and easy to carry in a tool kit for the field. I like his ramrod scraper, too. These look like good tools, purpose built for specific tasks. Not likely to be "borrowed" out of the tool kit for other jobs, so they should be there when you need them.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I have several spring clamps that I like to use for the main spring. For the frizzen spring I use the toolmakers' parallel clamps I inherited from my father. The toolmakers' clamps offer better control than vise grips, but are quite expensive.

Dixey Gun Works gets their frizzen springs from Peter Dyson in the UK. Dixie was out of stock and I bought it there. Nice people.

You can just remove the main spring from the spring vice once it's out. Then use it to remove the frizen spring. That's what I have been doing anyway.

I always remove spring from the vise, or when I used a vice grip
I never had a problem with a vise grip, and used it for years, but relax it ASAP

Latest posts

Back