• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waksupi

Ric Carter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is the last rifle I built. I realized I didn't have a good short hunting rifle. What was I thinking? This one is a .54, with a Doc Haddaway lock. Barrel maker unknown, I just know it was made by a company in New York that usually makes modern rifle barrels. It is 26". Shoots good, and will stay in three inches at a hundred yards, which is about as good as I can see. Started off with double set triggers, but front trigger was too close to the front of the trigger guard to shoot with gloves on. So, I made a single trigger for it. Sorry for the crappy pics.
flinter001.jpg

flinter002.jpg

What a great looking piece of wood! Nice job. And 3" at 100 yards is just dandy I'd say! :bow:

I like it.. 26" big bore barrel. :thumbsup:
Iron furniture is OK, BUT with a siler lock??
You know you broke some "rules" with that :grin:
Like my mom said ""well rules is rules",, so what""??
The wood is great. would like to see some closer shots of the rifle.
To me it all comes down to "how does it shoot"???
3" at 100 is "minute of deer." :thumbsup:

Beauty!! Does she have a left handed sister, hint , hint? :wink:

John

oldarmy said:
I like it.. 26" big bore barrel. :thumbsup:
Iron furniture is OK, BUT with a siler lock??
You know you broke some "rules" with that :grin:
Like my mom said ""well rules is rules",, so what""??
The wood is great. would like to see some closer shots of the rifle.
To me it all comes down to "how does it shoot"???
3" at 100 is "minute of deer." :thumbsup:

Siler lock? Where did you get that? It is a Doc Haddaway lock.See original post.

I would be lost building a left hand rifle. I would never know if it "fit"!

I would be lost building a left hand rifle. I would never know if it "fit"!
[/quote]

It be EASY, just work looking into a mirror... it'll fit perfect... :rotf:

I am sorry, the pics led me to see a "siler" or Germanic style lock :v
Something about the southern Mountain/Appalachian rifles always appealed to me :hmm:
That short barrel is perfect for Northern New Hampshire also.. It's very over grown up here.The terrain is rough and hilly, lots of rocks and streams to cross. Most shots are only at 50 to 75yrd max.
My hunting rifle has a "38 barrel, but it is a standard Colerain.

I am considering a southern mountain rifle for my next build. How much does yours weigh? Often this is left out of specs and I understand that by the time you're finished it is quite a bit different from what you started with..........watch yer top knot

I can't really tell you the weight. It feels around 8# to me, but that is just a guess. The only scale I have is the bathroom scale. It won't go past 217#, so I refuse to get a new one. A new one may lie to me.

Very well done. Beautiful finish, and a shooter to boot. I have not heard of fluid film. Could you fill me in on where to get it Etc.? Thanks

Do a search online for it, to find your nearest dealer. John Deere dealers usually have it. It's a lanolin base lubricant and protective. Seems to be a very good metal and wood seal in moist conditions.

Back