• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Farmland & Western MN Zones - No Lead Shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are a number of new rules the DNR is taking comment on right now. One is that there will be no lead shot allowed on State lands in the Southern MN "Farmland" and Western zones.

Requiring hunters to use non-toxic shot (steel or other approved substitute) when hunting on wildlife management areas in the southern and western areas of the state, starting on September 1, 2018.

The proposed rule talks about shotshells, so one could argue that it will not be applied to muzzleloaders, but I'd comment anyway and would try to get smoothbore muzzleloaders exempted.

One would still have to use alternatives on water, but this ruling would affect "dry land" hunting as well, so if this affects you, you may want to send in your comments.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/rules/wildlife/index.html

Here is the note I sent to Jason Abraham, who is collecting the comments:

Jason,

Please see my comments regarding the proposed rule: "Require nontoxic shot on wildlife management areas in the farmland zone, which includes the far western and southern portions of the state, beginning in 2018"

I would like the DNR to consider an exemption for smoothbore muzzleloaders. While the details of the rule, as I read them, talks more to shotshells, I would assume this is because muzzleloaders are an afterthought, considering their usage by such a small number of dedicated sportsmen and women. But, I would assume that if this rule is accepted as is, it would really be a ban on lead shot, period, and not be limited only to modern firearms

The reason I am proposing such an exemption is that the barrels in our smoothbores are not capable of shooting steel (it will damage them), and many of us do not want to use modern plastic shotcups, etc. as we are in this demanding sport to try to replicate authentic period loading techniques.

I would suspect the number of individuals involved in traditional smoothbore muzzleloading for small game with shot is very, very low and the amount of lead shot we "distribute" over any given time period is completely inconsequential. Therefore I would ask for consideration that any new rule be clear that is it only applicable to modern shotshells for breech loading firearms and/or that it is specifically NOT applicable to smoothbore sidelock muzzleloaders.

I understand that for true Wetlands hunting, we must all abide by non-toxic shot rules. My comments only apply to "dry land" hunting opportunities for small game/pheasants/turkey, etc.

Already sent mine in.
Mine was a general statement asking to abolish the implementation of the rule as a whole.
It's not needed in any manner.

Back