• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for oak timbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scota4570

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was doing landscaping over the week end. The railroad ties were 8 x 10 x 8-foot oak. They were reasonably clean. They do stink of cresote. It only penetrates about 1/4". You would wan to pressure wash the dirt off. Then resaw them. They seem like a decent source of material. Anyone ever use these for a cannon carraige?

Hey There

I used to work for a hardwood company which sold exotic and domestic lumber

The "stickers" which are chunks of timber banded on the bottom of the units of lumber often are made out of the same wood they sell as lumber.

Many a times I took these home, lots of red/white oak, ash as well. A lot of this wood was chunky 4"x4" and up to 42" long.
This was "junk wood" which typically was used to band together another stack of lumber, or simply thrown in the scrap bin.

It might save you some time with sawing and cleaning up RR ties if you have a hardwood company in your area.

More times than not, these guys will give these stickers away. It would be wise to tell them it's for firewood though.

Scota,
I don't think I would want to saw those ties , That cresote will gum up the saw blade & the saw dust will burn your skin :surrender:

Buy some land bro, pile up all of those timbers you can get.
I will guarantee that in a year or so youll get a itch and build a nice cabin with all that

Cheers

Back