• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snap sacks revisited.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are clearly both PC. Yes, the tumpline was adopted and adapted to be worn across the top of the chest on the back. Or you could just roll up your wool blanket (in a blanket roll) and sling it or something to sit over the top of your snapsack to, ya know, water-resistant-it as suggested. Not sure how PC the latter is, but...

I think the idea went back and forth, at least for the military.

General Wolfe ordered that his light infantry do the following during the F&I:

"His knapsack [the light infantry soldier's] is carried very high between his shoulders, and is fastened with a strap of web over his shoulder, as the Indians carry their pack."

Now this is very odd because we know that in Morier's paintings of the British regiments, that in at least three we can clearly see what appear to be cowhide, hair on, single strap packs, slung over the right shoulder...and these were painted about a decade before the F&I.

So WHY does General Wolfe need to specify "over the shoulder" and "as the Indians" when that was how soldiers carried packs in the past???

:idunno:

Later, during the AWI, Maryland contracted for a "new invented haversack" which was a combination pack, and haversack, with a single shoulder strap...going backwards from the two-strap pack in use by other colonies.

LD

Some of the wording is confusing to me and the images unclear. Years ago on one modern pack frame the straps seemed to move outwards so I used a short thong/cord to tie between the straps to keep the straps about 11" to 12" apart, the thong/cord "across the chest". I wonder if that is some of what was done?
In any event, it is always great if you can get documentation on what you prefer. I'm going to copy some of the posted images and make a knap sack. You have the weight of the knapsack in addition to the gear but for me, it is worth it. A lot more comfortable for me at least.

I used a short thong/cord to tie between the straps to keep the straps about 11" to 12" apart, the thong/cord "across the chest". I wonder if that is some of what was done?

I've a British knapsack, of what seems to have become the standard pattern when made of canvas, two compartments with the blanket in between, two straps. I've found that the little strap across the chest linking the two shoulder straps does indeed aid when carrying a non-frame, "full" pack a good distance.

Had I lived in the day...and had the knowledge of packs that I have, I'd probably opt for a Germanic rucsak, a single compartment that opens at the top, with two straps, the tops of the straps attach via the cord that closes the top of the pack, the bottom of the straps attach to lower edges of the pack, and form a / \ shape for carry.

LD

Hey Snapsackers! Funny thing... I caught the 1934 version of Robinhood last night starring Errol Flynn. When Robin meets John Little, later Little John, on the bridge and they get into a quarterstaff bout, I noticed for the first time that Little John (Alan Hale Sr.) is wearing a snapsack. :grin:

LD

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back