• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore weight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
Does anyone have any weights for the 41" barreled NW guns and Wilson or Early English guns from NSW or Caywood,in .62? I know what the long barrled Carolina guns weigh but do not recall about the guns I mentioned. I may want to get a lighter gun as my fusil is just under 8lbs and am not sure about how long of a barrel as the shoulder fights me more and more, also want to go to .62 for Turkeys just looking for some ideas in the weights of the various quality options that are most common out there, thanks in advance.

FWIW, my NSW Early English came in at 7.2 lbs. (.62 cal./41" barrel).

If you want to try iy out, let me know.

Thanks Bill that is probably close to the NSW NW gun and "Chiefs" guns I used to have. I just do not recall for sure. I would like to get down to around 6 lbs or so, I have enough value in my fusil for a trade or may sell it and get something else :idunno: all is just in the "got a thought in my head" phase now, don't know how long I want to wait, pretty sure I do not want to do another build, rasps and draw knives are a thing of the past for me anymore.

The Caywood guns might not fit the norm, or your needs, weight wise. He uses a standard profile so barrels can be changed. e.g. a 20 ga. can be changed for a 12 ga. This would mean the 20 ga. would have a thicker barrel wall and be heavier. But, I have never handled one. Probably best to check with Danny or someone who owns one of his guns.

Just recently, I took possession of a New England fowler made for me by Mike Brooks. 16 ga. 42 inch barrel. 6lbs. 4 oz.
Pete

My M.Brooks English Fowler in Walnut is 7 lbs with a 16 ga Colerain Griffon 42" bbl.

DSCN0096.jpg

My 20ga fowler/musket, 38" bbl, is between 7 & 7.5 pounds. It was built by a builder I know better than to identify.

My Roy Stroh .12ga with 32" barrel is 6 lbs 9 oz and my 42" .20 ga New England style Militia gun weighs in at 7 lbs 4 oz.

0897b08e.jpg
:thumbsup:

6a871707.jpg

By Mike Brooks - New England fowler at six and a quarter pounds.
I wanted a light gun that pointed well and quickly.
Pete

Neither a NSW nor a Caywood, but my 20 bore fowler made by Mark Elliott with a 45" Long Hammock octagon to round bbl weighs 6 lb & 13 oz.

Latest posts

Back