• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore pistol barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone know of a source for smoothbore pistol barrels "side the "ninty five dollar" barrels from such places as North Star West????

Preferably in "sixty two" calibur and octagon to round_ ten inchs long!!

Hiya Rondo!

Try to get in touch with Jackie Brown down in Walnut, Miss. He makes his own barrels and often has a few 20ga octo/round ones on hand. I've got one of his 20ga pistols with a 12 inch barrel, front/rear sites, QA lock. It's a real shooter with 50-70 grains of FFg and patch roundball.

I think his addy is [email protected]

Strictly talk....let me say that up front, as I don't know firsthand.....but the stories going 'round at the last shoot/rendezvous I attended says that Jackie Brown is in litigation over 2 of his barrels blowing up! Stories say that he is making his barrels out of some sort of conduit designed for other purposes. I don't know.

I DO know that life is too precious to me to use a barrel of questionable quality. I have been lucky I guess in 40 + years of shooting blackpowder to have never had an accident involving my weapons. I know this mans guns are priced lower than most on the market. I am wondering why. The quality of his work is about equal to mine, that's why I don't build that many, but when I do I use the best parts money can buy....no shortcuts there. To me it seems wiser to spend the extra $$ and know I have materials that won't blow up in my face if I should overcharge or double load. What is a hundred dollars compared to injuries or death from such happening?

Many beginner shooters are turned off by having weapons that are poorly made and not functioning properly. How often have you seen a new shooter having difficulties getting their weapon to fire and discover that it sparks poorly or has alignment problems? Mass produced firearms often are put together by employees who have never fired one and is there working for an hourly wage. The extra money spent to obtain a firearm built by a reputable maker is usually returned at the point you no longer want to keep it. Compare the value of a used mass produced gun to one that has been built by a custom maker at the point of reselling it. I don't believe that I own a blackpowder gun that is not worth more now than when I bought it. That is not to say that many mass produced firearms are not suitable for everyday use. Lyman, Thompson, CVA, and some others seem to be quite serviceable, and are in use all over the world. Navy arms is another....but these are old established companies with good return policies, and are a fine place to conduct business.

Apologies for rambling on so this morning, I'll get off my soapbox and shut up. I just can't help wondering why we spend $100 for a pair of mocassins or $45 for a longtailed shirt, and then skimp on the price of a gun part when shooting is a primary part of this great pastime.

Thanks fellas!!

My e_mail aint work"n cause this computer is goin "belly up"!!

Right now I"m jest in the "shop"n "round" stage!!

Best regards!!
YMHS
Rondo

Hey Rondo,

Seems I gave you the wrong addy for Jackie Brown. The correct one is: [email protected].

He is running a special on pistols thru the end of February so should have a few spare barrels for sale.

His barrels are made from octogon extreme high pressure hydraulic seamless tubing, which is also used by several other gun/barrel makers. I proof tested my JB pistol barrel with 200grains FFFg and two patched roundballs, not once but twice. The smoothbore long gun JB barrel was proofed with the same load. Both proofed ok.

There was a case in Anchorage 4 years ago where a person was sueing TC for a blown barrel, until the court found out that the shooter had used smokeless powder instead of BP.

The last time I talked to Jackie, this fall, all was well and business was picking up after a couple of poor production years.

Not to bust any bubbles here, but in some states, a smoothbore pistol barrel may be concidered a sawed-off shotgun...

It makes no difference if it black powder or not...

I strongly suggest that you check with the state laws before you make this smoothbore pistol...

We don't want to loose a member on a TECHNICALITY...

I talked to Jackie Brown today to order some barrels and stocks. Also asked him about the "litigation rumors" going around concerning burst barrels. He said this was the first he had heard of the rumors and that none of his barrels have ever burst. He laughed and said "I've had problems with other components but never my barrels." He said things were going along ok, but slow getting orders completed as he has been working his shop alone for the past 18 months.

Over the years that I've done business with Jackie, I've not had any major problems. I have talked to folks that have had problems on delivery dates, finish, type of wood provided, and expectations of quality. Others have praised their purchases from Jackie, saying the quality of wood, finish, inletting, etc,, was as good or better than expected.

So, I guess it is just up to the eye of the beholder as to whether his firearms are what you expect or not.

Back