• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore drop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, through extensive internet research, I have been unable to come up with the slightest bit of information that supports your claim that a long smoothbore barrel "stabilizes" a round ball better than a shorter barrel. I would invite you to check the following topics: external ballistics, transitional ballistics, internal ballistics, ballistic coefficient, drag coefficient, sectional density, aerodynamic drag, knuckleball, round shot and smoothbore. Perhaps I missed something or perhaps you could direct me to the specific site that supports your claim. On the contrary, there is ample proof that a non-spinning sphere is unstable. cheers Paul

I have a 60 caliber smoothbore with a 48" barrel. For accuracy I had it made with an extra heavy barrel. The barrel was bored 20 gauge but the exterior of the barrel was turned to a 16 gauge size. That makes the barrel about 1/8" thick at the muzzle. With 75 grains of 3F, a .60 ball and .010 muslin spit patching it really seems to speed the ball downrange.

The idea of the heavy barrel was to reduce vibration in the barrel and improve accuracy. The significantly longer sight plane helped with accuracy as well.

I won a few rifle matches with that smoothbore. Unfortunately it weighs in at 16 pounds so it gets kind of tiresome to shoot on a line all day or to carry through the woods for long.

The smoothbore could reliably hit targets out to 75 yards. After that the accuracy with a lead ball fell off. I still haul it out on occasion but I need to have worked out at the gym for a couple of months first.

Who knows how much YOUR gun will drop at 100yards with YOUR sight picture? The way to find out is try it.All these other guys can tell you what their guns do but that won't help YOU! Some guns are choked a lot,some not so much and some are cylinder bore. Some guys bare ball,some use tow,others use cotton patch. So it's hard if not impossible to guess what your smoothie will do.That's why I find this sport so much fun. Experimenting makes things work.

Leatherbelly said:
Who knows how much YOUR gun will drop at 100yards with YOUR sight picture? The way to find out is try it.All these other guys can tell you what their guns do but that won't help YOU! Some guns are choked a lot,some not so much and some are cylinder bore. Some guys bare ball,some use tow,others use cotton patch. So it's hard if not impossible to guess what your smoothie will do.That's why I find this sport so much fun. Experimenting makes things work.

I was looking for a starting reference point, not where my gun would print. Geez you guys get your shorts in a wad. Relax. You will live longer. :grin:

Back