• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore did it's job

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
One Shot, One Crow

Cool breezy early morning, set up in the edge of the woods overlooking a soybean field.
Put an Owl decoy on a 12’ pole at 25yds and scattered a half dozen crow decoys on the ground around it.

Started calling and had 4-5 crows overhead in a minutes, nailed one, and the others left.
.54cal Flintlock SB, 70grns Goex 3F, 2 Oxyoke wads, 1+1/8oz 7.5s, and an O/S card.

Reloaded and started calling again for the next hour but only had a couple more even come in sight and they never came close enough for a shot”¦smart birds.
(Red tailed hawks show up every 15 minutes or so thinking there might be an easy meal)

So I packed it in and will try a different location next time...but a good outing, accomplished what I set out to do with the Flintlock this morning.

:thumbsup: nice job and a bird down too, yeah there smart alright :v ...........bob

I'v eaten crow many times!!!!!! How do you FIX EM???? Mine wern't to good. :) :)

The only meat worth keeping is the Breast, and you can cook them the same way you cook Dove breasts. YOu can cut the meat off the bone, leaving two good sized forkfuls of meat for each breast, and brown them in shortening. Then pour in milk to cover, and simmer them for 2 hours, or until tender.

Another way is to wrap the breast meat in bacon strips, with a piece of horse chestnut, holing the three items together with a toothpick. Brown in grease, and then simmer in milk until tender. Season to preference. Make a large, but tasty appetizer.

If you insist on trying to cook more of the crow, bone the meat, and make a pot pie with your favorite vegetables, some water, or milk for the gravy, butter, salt and pepper, and a top crust made from Bisquick biscuits. Bake at 350 for 45 minute to an hour. Should use 4 crows to serve a couple of hungry people. The meat is dark, with a beef like flavor. This is not chicken, altho' the dark meat of checken comes close to the texture and flavor.

Thanks Paul,
I'm not too interested in killing and eating crows but a Recipe might come in handy to some. :thumbsup:

good job roundball. anytime you can get within shooting distance of a crow it's an accomplishment and to get one with a flinter is better yet. congrats!
pieman

Back