• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Price

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure where to pose this question, but this seems to be the appropriate place. What's the difference between a "smooth rifle" and a musket and/or a fowler ?

I realize a smooth rifle has a heavier barrel compared to the other two muzzleloaders mentioned, but why ?

Thanks..........

A Smooth rifle has both a barrel and Stock that are shaped as you would a rifle. Some even carry rear sights.

By contrast, fowlers, and muskets are different. Fowlers have shotgun shaped stocks, and thinner barrels- often half octagon, half round, but not always. Fowlers will tend to be the lightest,a nd best balanced, of the various smoothbores, because they were designed for civilian- not military- use.They were intended to be used to shoot flying birds, as well as an occasional turkey on the ground, and Deer.

Muskets tend to have Round Barrels, and the straight military style stocks, that are thicker in the wrist, and butt than you usually will find on Smoothrifles, or Rifles, for that matter. Muskets were almost strictly military weapons, built for strength, so that they tend to weigh much more than the typical fowler.

The only thing that Muskets, Smoothrifles, and Fowlers have in common is that they are smoothbores, at least until the early 1800s, when "rifled Muskets" came into fashion just before the change from Flintlock to Percussion action took place in military arms. Few "smoothrifles" began life as smoothbores. Rather they were often rifles that had been shot out, and were then bored out to a smoothbore to give the owner further use from the older firearm.

I hope this helps you understand the differences. :hmm: :thumbsup:

I appreciate the information. One more question related to this subject - then I'll move on.

Why does one choose a smooth rifle over a smoothbore such as a fowler ?

Regards, Vic

Vic,

For me it was the versatility. I can shoot a shot load for small game, yet still have the option of loading a patched round ball for bigger stuff. (My smoothrifle is a .58 cal). I think the addition of a rear sight and the cheek piece makes it a bit more accurate than a fowler with only a front sight.

" Few "smoothrifles" began life as smoothbores"

There is nothing to suggest any ratio of new made smoothrifles and worn out rifles bored smooth, the term smoothrifle goes back into the 18th century.Be carefull of taking everything you hear as fact, particularly if it all comes from a single source.

And because the guns are so old( 18th Century), we have "FEW" of them surviving, that experts agree began as a smoothbore, and were not modified later in their working life.

Since barrels were hammer forged from flat stock, rather than being square or round stock that was bored, virtually ALL barrels, musket, rifle, smoothrifle, fowler, etc. began as "smooth bores". What we can't know is How many Rifles were made leaving those barrels UN-Rifled!??!

A lot of the Smoothrifles today are after-market barrels added to Rifle stocks, to take advantage of restrictive primitive, or ML Hunting seasons in several states that required smoothbores to be legal to take deer in those seasons in their states.

T/C even put out a run of .56 caliber Smoothrifle barrels to fit its mountain rifle, and renegade rifle. These barrels were full octagon on the outside flats, with rifle sights, front and back, just like its rifled barrels in .54 caliber. The only difference was that the .56 smoothbore barrel was not rifled. These were fine guns, delivering very good accuracy. They are much sought after, altho no longer offered my T/C.

For me the big difference is sights. I've got a GM 62 cal smoothbore barrel with sights, and it really helps me with accuracy using RBs, but in my hands the rear sight is a hindrance for quick shooting with shot. I ended up taking the rear sight off, at the expense of a little precision with RB, but then the hooked butt on my TC Hawken was still a bit of a hindrance for quick shooting with shot. Ultimately I put it on a Renegade, and that works well with shot. I dunno what to call it now! A fowled up Hawk-egade maybe? :rotf:

For an interesting read check out the narrative on this smooth rifle. I've got one of Ron's Hawkens, and I can only imagine how well made it is.

Latest posts

Back