• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth bore pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwbsmokey

54 Cal
Reaction score
I'm more or less thinking out loud, but would appreciate your thoughts. I have a 54 cal. Lyman Plains Pistol, and I was wondering about the possibility of getting a replacement barrel and having it made into a smooth bore. I know it can be done, but I was wondering what the cost would be, what the max bore size could be, and if it is just a dumb idea or if it is practical enough worth considering. My thoughts are that it might be a fun close range small game gun. But how close and how effective?

Sounds like a neat idea. If it's economically feasable. Taking on small game, birds and informal clays with a hand shotgun is fun.

I've got a cheap DGW "Tower" flintlock replica I've been fooling with in this vein. So far only one bunny has fallen at about 7 yards. I'd think 15-20 yards is a reasonable max with proper load/shot size.

A .410 Contender can be deadly at that range on quail, partridge and rabbits, as a comparison.

This is something I've been considering for my Lyman Deerstalker (likely with a Trade Rifle barrel), but have also figured I'll need a Plains Pistol too, and why not a smoothbore for it as well?

I figured 28 ga made a lot of sense as I can get components if need be, though I figured I'd start out trying punched felt wads and such.

Back