• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SMOKE maximisation - how can I make more of it.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are ways of producing more smoke, but they also produce more fouling. If you were gonna throw-away the pistol instead of clean it, and you are after a pyrotechnics display, I could clue you in on how to achieve the results you wish (for a brief period of functionality). But since you didn't say that you needed to do this for a professional movie-making endeavor, I chose NOT to stick my neck out...

Claude said it best...we don't play with guns here!

Dave

I have a pair of the Japanese Sea Service pistols. It took a bit of work to get them firing reliably. Once they were good to go they make plenty of fire & smoke with Goex FFG powder & patched round ball. Black powder is the only powder that will work in flintlocks without a duplex load.

Many thanks for all the helpful answers, I think I will give then Tower pistol a miss, and look at the FFg Goex powder rather than the FFFg.

More powder in the pan would be relatively safe. Larger powder granules (I don't know if cannon grade powder could be lit consistently from a lock, but it might) let you load more powder without an increase in pressure.

Just be careful, and watch for pressure signs. You will get more smoke that "hangs" on windless high humidity days than you do on windy low humidity days, so the only sure fire answer is to shoot only when it's already foggy out.

Back