• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slug guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rscobee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me to info on slug guns be it books, magazine articles, websites,personal knowledge, anything.I'm talking about the heavy, weighing up to 100lbs., benchrest muzzle loaders. I can't seem to find much info, at least on the net, about them. I have a couple of books coming that supposedly have some info, The Muzzle Loading Rifle Then and Now by Walter Cline and The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle by Ned Roberts. Anything would be helpful because I know next to nothing at this point.
Thanks,
Rod

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Somewhere around here we used to have a member who shoots those things at the NMLRA shoots. Does pretty good too.

At the Winter Nationals a few years ago he showed me some of his stuff.
Looks too much like work to me, trying to load, position, aim and shoot a rifle that weighs slightly less than a dead mule but, that's just me talking.

Maybe he'll step in and answer your questions?

Talk to the people at N.M.L.R.A. They may be able to help. I know they have or had a book Shooting with Champions and Lester Cox's papers on how to build a slug gun with all the other things you need.
N.M.L.R.A. phone is 812-667-5131

100 pounds would be most unusual. Most are under 40 pounds. The shooters are among the most anal folks you will ever see. They are persnickity about their equipment and loading techniques to the extreme. Of course, you must be to consider anything less than one hole groups at 300 yards to be a failure.
In the book edited by Don Davis in 1974, "Muzzle Loading Shooting and Winnin with the Champions", Don interviewed Walter Grote for the slug gun chapeter. I have the original edition autographed by Don (he was a close friend). If you have specific questions I'll try to reference from the book.
NMLRA did get rights to the book. I don't know if they still sell it.

Thanks for the info, everybody. I'll see if I can dig something up. Yea, I love not only the attention to detail that is required but the scary accuracy that can be obtained.

Trooper said:
I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me to info on slug guns be it books, magazine articles, websites,personal knowledge, anything.I'm talking about the heavy, weighing up to 100lbs., benchrest muzzle loaders. I can't seem to find much info, at least on the net, about them. I have a couple of books coming that supposedly have some info, The Muzzle Loading Rifle Then and Now by Walter Cline and The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle by Ned Roberts. Anything would be helpful because I know next to nothing at this point.
Thanks,
Rod
Rod,
I recently did two articles on Slug Guns from Friendship. One article is a general one, while the other was on George Mitchell's 100 lb. monster. Below are links to the articles:

Slug guns (general)

The Mitchell Gun

The 100 lb. guns are indeed a rarity. According to George, there are/were 4 guns in the 100 lb weight range. He sold his recently to a collector who owns at least one of the other four. Just to whet your appetite, here is a pic of George's gun:
IMG_2749-1.jpg

Regards,
Pletch

Thanks Pletch. Yes, that is the article I found awhile back and it turned on my glow plug. But, haven't found much else, yet.
Rod

Back