• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

slow match from highway flare

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guncobbler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I made some cotton match by soaking it in water that had disolved the oxygenator (potasium chlorate?) from a highway flare. Used about 6 inches of flare to one pint of water (used filter paper to remove the sludge and sawdust). After soaking the rope in it and drying the match burns nice but does this little sparkle thing every so often. My first guess is that's not a good thing as we don't want sparks to land in the pan until asked nicely. I going to dilute the mix til I don't get any more sparks. How did you titrate your mix? I assume that we just want enough mix in there so that the match will burn without going out. Thanks, GC

Hi,more than answers You just got me thinking.Would it be possible to dilute black powder to extract potasium nitrite ,filter it and so forth, to make slow burning match.As a 15 year old I made a very nice match lock , but did not know how to make a match, so the only thing readidly available that I found (other than a cigarete) was a mosquito coil.Everybody use to laugh at the range but at least we had no mosquitoes :rotf:

Actually using powder to make match works very well (most of what I am using at the moment was made by mixing powder and vinegar then soaking hemp rope in it). I mix about 1/4 cup of powder to about 1 1/2 gallons of vinegar lately. Only the saltpeter in the powder disolves (the sulpher and charcol don't), you end up with a black sludge in the bottom of your soaking container and your match comes out a bit dark colored. The stuff works just fine.
I never thught of using road flares for making match so I don't know about the dilution to reduce sparking. Play around with it to see what you come up with.

Latest posts

Back