• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

slings on your flintlocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow on the Roof said:
Does using the existing barrel lug compromise its integrity? I thought about doing the same but wondered how sound this arrangement was. I presume you had to drill the hole larger to accomodate the larger swivel screw.

JOhn
Here are a couple of pics of a sling that I made. I would purchase the parts as it was pretty labor intensive just to save a few dollars. The sling itself resides in my shooting bag until it is needed.
Swivelbutton-2.jpg

Frontswivel.jpg

The forearm swivel was made to use a 4-40 screw through the barrel lug. If you have enough "meat" on that lug, it will be OK, just don't put a screw through the forearm wood.

I found a "European style " sling at the living history show last weekend. slides over the barrel then a loop is slid over the butstock to the wrist and is snugged down . doesn't interfere with the sights and can be used on all my rifles.from The Leatherman Traditional Leather Products.

At the risk of sounding like a snob know-it-all, Dan, the sling can actually HELP your off hand shooting. You wrap it around your left arm until there's enough tension between the rifle, through your left arm to your neck. A really steady triangle that helps keep the rifle up. Check it out.

Jis my two cents...Some of us have to use one of our paws to navigate with a stick on occasions. We gussy-up the sticks to make'em flashier to help soothe vanity, I guess...BUT a sling does help tote stuff and keeps down the ease of dropping your range box to say nothing of increasing your stability in navigating ungraded ground. As to being PC or HC, I don't think we are the first generation to 'make do', best I can tell. :hmm: GrampaJ in NC.

I do not have a sling on my rifle, but have thought seriously about it for some time. I hunt the coolies (gullies for those who don't know the term) here in central Montana. I like to have my hands free to use my binoculars while looking for a stalking opportunity.

I use a modern "tactical" looking sling nonpermanently attached to mine. It's great for stabilizing shooting and carrying.

I kind of want to use the Mosin Nagant type dog collar sling and make the appropriate hardware.

Latest posts

Back