• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sling Length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old40Rod

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm getting close to finishing up my PR TN Mt rifle and I plan to make a sling out of upholstery webbing (2.5" webbing, doubled over with the open edge sewn shut). I have one sling swivel mounted through a stud on the toe plate and the other through an underlug just a bit forward of the middle rr pipe. The linear distance between the two swivels will be about 38". Is there a "rule of thumb" for determining how long I would make the sling for comfortable over-shoulder carrying? Or is it just try-and-fit?

I don't know of any reliable formula because taste comes into play. For me anyway, it's try and fit, just as you propose.

I do use one rule of thumb for finding the right mix of comfort and control. I adjust the sling length so the sling swivel falls somewhere between just below the top of my shoulder and not below my armpit when the gun is mounted on my shoulder. Any higher and it pinches. Any lower and the rifle flops around too much for my taste. Like I said, a rule of thumb, but not a fancy formula.

Good idea... I am have plenty of length to work with. I suspected it was try and fit, and I can probably do a bit of geometric calculation to get an idea where to start so I don't end up with too much or too little slack.

I have never heard of such a formula as everyone is built differently....slim, narrow shoulders, wide shoulders, barrel chest, etc. I make the slings on my guns with a bit of adjustment, holes punched in the sling and a thong for a keeper. That way, the sling can be adjusted for summer or winter use.

I could do that, Mazo. It would take a bit more to work out the system on a jute sling, but certainly is possible... maybe a slider of some kind... wood or horn.

Back