• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief Load Time line

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Too-Tall

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I’ve tried the skychief load and it’s got decent group at 30 yards. Question is how long can it sit in barrel before the olive oil dries out or effects it. Basically can I get away with loading for turkey on Saturday am and be ok if I get shot Sunday night, or can I go longer if I plug torch hole and muzzle.

If you get shot Sunday night, would you even care? LOL Seriously, I think you would be OK but as they say better safe then sorry. Probably should at least try it and see when you are not hunting the next day rather than experiment and have a miss fire with that big turkey in front of you.

If you get shot Sunday night, would you even care? LOL Seriously, I think you would be OK but as they say better safe then sorry. Probably should at least try it and see when you are not hunting the next day rather than experiment and have a miss fire with that big turkey in front of you.
Not worried about miss fire but rather the olive oil lubed wad drying out effecting pattern of shot. With sloppy oily wad on range no issues. Just asking how long it last in gun before its ineffective. My plan is to take one Saturday am though.

Someone should let a load sit for a week or ten days and check pattern. As for me, I load and then at end of the day store muzzle down, never a problem with dampened powder.

I meant dampened powder from the olive oil seeping into the powder causing a possible miss fire. At minimum I would store muzzle down as azmtnman said.

,🤣 merely a flesh wound.

I haven't had it foul the powder even left for a week or more.
My guns do rack slightly muzzle down in the house, but often end up slightly muzzle up in the backseat of the truck.

I've shot the skychief load off after an unsuccessful (or often unhunted) couple weeks and saw no real difference in pattern compared to testing..... but I find shot patterns to be funny things.

Not worried about miss fire but rather the olive oil lubed wad drying out effecting pattern of shot. With sloppy oily wad on range no issues. Just asking how long it last in gun before its ineffective. My plan is to take one Saturday am though.
oil will stick around for a long time

I leave olive oil out on the counter in an open top pour bottle, no issues.

In a barrel it should be fine

Tried this method and really no pattern change for me. I will try one more time after turkey season is over.

Attachments

• 20240412_204435.jpg
    20240412_204435.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back