• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Siler perc lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markstark

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a 45 Vincent replica with a Siler percussion lock.I have not fired this rifle yet due to a shoulder op but getting close .

I can cock the piece but it wont fire ? It is a
set trigger design . I sprayed a fair bit of silicone on to the rifdle when it was in storage .
Could this have gummed up the works? Is it
simple to get to the internals of the lock or is it a job for a smith. You can release the hammer back onto the nipple by lowering the hammer with the front set lever held back . I dont want to blunder in and do damage any clues ? Thanks Guys

Pull the cock back two clicks to full cock. It sounds like you might only be at half cock.

First put a thick piece of leather over the nipple, so if it fires it doesn't beat up the nipple.

Pull to half cock, then to Full Cock.
If it is a double set trigger,
Pull the REAR trigger til it sets & you should feel & hear a click.
Now pull the front trigger & it should fire the lock.

If that doesn't work, remove the lock & see if the lock works OFF the rifle.
If it does, then you have wood binding in the lock inlet preventing the sear arm from moving correctly, OR the trigger inlet wood is binding.
While you have the lock out, try the set trigger & see if it works.
Pull the rear one & it should click, pull the front one & it should snap & release the trigger bars.
If it works that way, you know the triggers are functioning & it is a lock issue or a sear arm / trigger bar engagement issue.

Could also be the amount of play between the sear arm & trigger bar. You normally need to have some freeplay in them to allow the sear arm to move & get to the second notch on a Siler.

Also check & insure the hammer is not binding on the wood it is up against when you go to full cock.

Keith Lisle

Hi Keith thanks for answering, indeed at full
cock when I squeeze the rear trigger it sets and
fires the lock with the front trigger.

shouldnt it set on the front trigger and fire of the rear curved trigger?

The front trigger is the real trigger.
With most trigger assemblies this front trigger can be used either with setting the trigger by pulling the rear "trigger" or just by pulling it without setting the rear "trigger".

Using the trigger without first setting it will take a much harder pull on the front trigger to fire the gun. Some hunters like this because there is no audible noise from setting the rear trigger and the additional force needed to fire the gun with just the front trigger is a bit safer.

That is how it is supposed to work, rear is the set trigger, front is the actuating.... trigger being set by the rear one.

Some guys build the rifle with the front trigger a reasonable pull pressure (3 to 5#) and others don't even check it, they feel if it has a set trigger the shooter will use it. I prefer to leave that option open to the customer, thus set them up so the front one is reasonable to pull as well. Makes it a reasonable safe pull for hunting with gloves in the winter time when it is cold.

Keith Lisle

OK I suspected thats what you were getting at but thought I better make sure while I was asking.
Well at least I dont have any problem just a bit of embarrasment haha thanks fellas :grin:

Don't be embarrassed..... Ya didn't know, ya asked, now ya know. :wink: That is the best procedure. Much better than messing with things, possibly screwing something up, and having to replace it just because you didn't know & wouldn't ask. :nono: :grin: Plus the fact you cannot run to the local hardware & get a Siler lock where you live, most likely. :hmm:

Keith Lisle

Back