• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help identifying this lock assembly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper_52

32 Cal
Reaction score
I really need help identifying this hammer assembly. I believe it is worn and someone did a half-ass job of trying to fix it. There are only 2 areas on it that are stamped.
1st, the trigger assembly is only a set trigger. It won't work without it set. Not broken, just the way it is. Someone had issues with this lock assembly before. It appears that the hammer release lever has been 'worked' on and is bent. The lower portion of this arm extends past the plate when in half-cock making the half-cock position impossible. I removed as much wood as possible from the stock to allow clearance. I would rather buy a new plate assembly if I can find one or even a used one if this can be identified. You can see how it extends past the plate in image 0960. If I file this excess away I'm afraid there won;t be enough meat on it for the trigger arm to hit it and fire it. God I wish I knew the proper terms for everything. Please don't comment on the temporary washers. I need to shorten the hammer screw and am addressing the other problems.

Attachments​

• IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

• Question 1.jpg
    Question 1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

To fix the low sear position you need to make a new tumbler with the notches cut in the correct position.

That's what I was afraid of. I took it to a gunsmith who scratched her head and got this from

Muzzleloader Builder's Supply

That appears to be from an original (antique)gun. I do not have anything like it in stock but Log Cabin shop makes one similar called the Henry Percussion lock and L&R Lock company makes on called a shotgun lock. If the dimensions are the close enough, the one from Log Cabin shop is of better quality.
Ryan

Wish I had a metal mill so I could make it myself. Gun is not worth paying the price a gunsmith would charge.

I really need help identifying this hammer assembly. I believe it is worn and someone did a half-ass job of trying to fix it. There are only 2 areas on it that are stamped.
1st, the trigger assembly is only a set trigger. It won't work without it set. Not broken, just the way it is. Someone had issues with this lock assembly before. It appears that the hammer release lever has been 'worked' on and is bent. The lower portion of this arm extends past the plate when in half-cock making the half-cock position impossible. I removed as much wood as possible from the stock to allow clearance. I would rather buy a new plate assembly if I can find one or even a used one if this can be identified. You can see how it extends past the plate in image 0960. If I file this excess away I'm afraid there won;t be enough meat on it for the trigger arm to hit it and fire it. God I wish I knew the proper terms for everything. Please don't comment on the temporary washers. I need to shorten the hammer screw and am addressing the other problems.

Attachments​

• IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

• Question 1.jpg
    Question 1.jpg