• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sighting inproblems in a cva mackinaw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Pilgrim
Reaction score
hi all, semi-new shooter here im trying to sight in an cva 50.cal. useing 60gr pyrodex rs im hitting straight on but 8" low at 50yds going up to 70gr brought me up about an inch. i also filed the front sight down about a 1/16-1/8" good for another inch when i go to 75 gr. the ball-et hits to the left about 4" questions are, if i go to 80gr is it possible the ball-et with hit straight on again? also as i said the 70gr load is dead in line, 5 shots in a 50 cent piece size hole should i try filing more off the front sight? im asuminng being so low at 50 is going to be really bad at 100yds. im useing 245 gr ball-ets ,"11 rem caps.great site also ive been reading up on this for 2 nights im getting a new addiction lol any help would be greatly appreciateds. thank's a bunch

As with any conical, even ballets, I get goods results by using wads directly under the bullet. If it were me, I would try that before I filed any more on the front sight. You can always file the sight down some more, but, if you go too far it's a pain to bring it back, not impossible but a pain none the less. :m2c:

Larry

thanks for the reply canyon.i really hate to ask but what do you meen by using a wad? im not sure if you are saying an wad like in a shotgun shell or a patch like with a round ball. i've never used roundballs w/patches or anything else just the 245gr ball-et.the gun is sure fun to shoot my 10 yr old loves it with 60gr load hits about a foot low but still loves the smokescreen lol.

Don't know for sure it's the case with your rifle, but check on how you are doing your shooting for sighting in. If you are laying it directly on the rest, it could be dropping your shots low. One of my rifles will do this. Lay it directly on the rest or sandbags, and the shots drop about 6" low at 50 yards. If I simply hold the rifle and rest my elbows on the bench, it's right on the money. Cost me the small price of a replacement front sight to learn it, but now I do all my sighting with my elbows on the bench while holding rifles in a normal shooting position.

canyonman is referring to Wonder Wad Bore Buttons These wool "pads" serve to act as a gas check and is placed in between the powder and ball-et and are made caliber specific. They act to fill in the rifling grooves and to help seal the gases behind it and often increase accuracy. Depending on your rifle, I've found that sometimes too much powder can send Ball-ets "a wondering" and flyers are always a possibility with any powder charge. But the Wonder Wads can help. (Remington distributes these as well.)

:thanks:thanks guys ill try both as soon as i get a new main spring it snapped in half on me yesterday. pain it the butt seemes to be the summer theme around here lol :bull:

Back