• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight Suggestions For GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know want you are looking for but I got a new front site from TOW it is silver with a brass base If you tell them what you are looking for they can give you some ideas .
Charlie

The finest moving target shooter I ever saw used a peep sight! I personally witnessed the demise of two deer running on one occasion (sorry, it wasn't a muzzleloader, it was a Mauser), and a solo buck on another. The animals were all in the 50 yard range, but in all three cases, the back was broken above and just in front of the shoulders. He liked that shot. To practice, we'd go to a quarry and prop 5 gallon paint buckets at the top with sticks and shoot them until they'd roll and then bang away as they rolled down hill. My Dad was amazing!

Peep sights are tops for hunting.

Dan

On the 2 trade rifles my Son and I use, we have the primitive rear sight on mine and the Lyman Peep sight on his. I find the primitive sight to give me enough "air" between the front blade that I didn't have to even think about filing it. He likes the Peep, which by the way actually comes with 2 Peeps of different size aperatures. On bright days, the smaller peep really focuses your eye. On cloudy days, the larger peep does the job. Take out the peep altogether and you have a "ghost ring" that works great out to 40-50 yds.

Just my 2 cent's worth, Dave

How bout fiber sights? I put a set of these on my GPR. Sight picture looks good. If I ever get a day off, I'll sight her in. Here's who I got em from: [url] http://rmcsports.com/[/url]
They also make a rear sight without fiber. Simple to install too.

OTOH, I've been using Lyman peeps on all my centerfire Mauser carbines for 30 years. I use an apature on the rear sight (with the bright brass outer ring )and a dab of orange on the front. I find a peep is very easy to use and I never had a problem finding my target (moving or not) in the timber with them regardless of light conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard those peep sights work well for folks named Bob, Fred, Richard, and a whole host of others but if your name is Thomas, you ought to find something else.

Most folks around here don't want no Peeping Toms around.

:rotf:

IMO, they really work best for target shooting but if one drills out the hole a bit to let in more light and uses good judgment about the available light, they can be used for hunting.

zonie :)

playfarmers said:
I just couldn't get off the quick shots needed for still hunting with a peep.

I think "quick shots" with a flinter might be a contradiction of terms.

I can't ever remember shooting at a running deer with a flinter.

I used one of these on my gpr:
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...?CATID=14&SUBID=167&STYLEID=769&PARTNUM=RS-LA[/url]

The factory gpr blade is kinda thick imo but you can change that out to a thinner one for 3 or 4 bucks. I filed the sight so it was an easy slide fit into the dovetail and then drilled and tapped top center above the dovetail for a set screw. Makes windage adjustments easy though not precisely calibrated.

I have another rifle with a sight similar to the one above but it has the ladder adjuster. Gonna drill and tap it for an elevation adjustment screw and then file the aperture out with a rattail and then glue or solder a washer in place to make an aperture.

That type of aperture is not nearly as quick as some sights but for me it's a lot more precise in bullet placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been shooting a new GPR since last August. Two things to note:

1 - I used the adjustable rear sight that came with the rifle and tried several front sights (including machining down the original blade sight) and found the white bead sight to work the best for me.

2 - It DEFINITELY takes about 200-250 rounds for the rifle to "settle in". Either it or me has become much more consistent :grin:

Regardless, the bead sight gives a much better picture of the bullseye for me.

I was at the local gunshop the other day, and they had a used T/C Hawken with fiber-optic sights, and I'll tell you that the sight pictue was crystal clear with them, altho it does stray a bit fron period sights.
Paul

Just want to say Thanks Again for all the information and opinion sharing. I'll probably be trying a few different sights to see what works for my aging eyes.

Mike

Mike, its okay to change sights so that you feel more at ease with the rifle, but remember that a lot of shooting clubs require primitive sights for
their matches. {period correctness}

I have heard about the club shoot requirements. Unfortunately I'm not sure where a club is in my area, at least with in an hour drive. So far I am shooting at a hollow in the desert about a half hour from my house. Still fun but a larger group than two or three shooters would be fun on occasion.

Mike

mike: Join the NMLRA. They publish a rules book that is followed by most ML clubs across the country in setting their own rules for shooing matches. You can also find out where the nearest club is to you from them.

I just checked the May, 2007 issue of Muzzle Blasts, and you have a club near you, " The Old Pueblo Muzzleloaders ". Contact Ed Holbert in Tucson, Phone, 520-298-8633, for information about the club.

It would be interesting to try LPAsights. The factory is a few hundred yards away from the Investarm a producer of GPR in Italy. Was there last week when I pick up my new .45 cal GPR at Investarm.

There is a importer in USA, too.

:hatsoff: Icy

Looks like a great source for lots of things, Icy. Their TA22 looks just like the Lyman primitive rear, and the MA10 looks like their standard front, so there's probably something to the proximity of the two plants.

Looking at their links, they're partners with T/C and Perdersoli as well as a bunch of CF arms companies, so many of their sights are familiar.

Yap, a nice little town near Brescia in Italy where almost every other house is producing firearms or ammo. There are Pedersoli, Uberti, Investarm, Beretta, Bernardeli, LPAsights just to name a few in a distance of one mile! One must see this and the town is "only" 300 miles from my city :grin:

:hatsoff: Icy

"Ive got the 57SML sight on mine"

I have that sight on my GPR and other than a new set of eyes it is as good as I can do.
Old Charlie

This is what I use on my Deer Stalker. I really like it. I also changed the front sight. I do not like the globe(not enough light for me). I did put a slightly taller bead with a thin body, and White dot. I like the white better than the brass. I also change to the twilight peep when I hunt with it. Tom.

IMG_0215.jpg

Back