• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight adjustment - .32 Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening All,

I just got access to abt 10 acres of heavy timber inhabited by what i’m told is an excessively high squirrel population. I dug out my new to me squirrel rifle and loaded with 25 g of FFFg. Shoots very well at 25 yds for a breezy day, but abt 5” high. What range does one commonly sight these at? Is it time to lower the rear sight? With my eyes, 25 yds is gonna probly be abt a comfortable max range on a squirrel or bunny head. What sayest y’all?

Thanks, as always,

don

The evidence...

Attachments

• 2A9F46E5-19B9-40F2-889F-196D0DBAFD81.jpeg
    2A9F46E5-19B9-40F2-889F-196D0DBAFD81.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 46
  • E021D4FB-96E5-4D9F-9277-3BC4F3633734.jpeg
    E021D4FB-96E5-4D9F-9277-3BC4F3633734.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 48
  • AA232EE4-A5F4-4A1D-B39D-47E4FEDEC142.jpeg
    AA232EE4-A5F4-4A1D-B39D-47E4FEDEC142.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 44
Yep, 25yd is where I sight my .32,.36 rifles, then just shoot at 50 yd so you know where it prints. Might be time for a taller front sight, could also play with powder charge to see if that changes your impact.

Update: Winchester97’s post reminded me that the rifle came with a replacement sight. After some digging around in my gear a little i found the original sight - looks to be maybe a 16th inch taller. It’s now installed and i’ll take it back out tomorrow. Anybody have a guess on how much that additional height will affect point of impact?

More photos tomorrow...

don

Update: Winchester97’s post reminded me that the rifle came with a replacement sight. After some digging around in my gear a little i found the original sight - looks to be maybe a 16th inch taller. It’s now installed and i’ll take it back out tomorrow. Anybody have a guess on how much that additional height will affect point of impact?

More photos tomorrow...

don
Bet that takes care of it right there! Good luck.

Just start filing a little at a time off the top of that rear sight, and shooting as you go. Use a course or medium file, and go slow. You can't put metal back after its taken off! At the point just when the filing has brought the holes down to slightly above the bull, switch to a fine file and begin touching it up and taking the remainder off as you go..if your gun has a metal sight, finish up the process by adding a touch of bluing to the exposed metal once you've brought it finally down to the bull.

A 25 yd zero is perfect for squirrel hunting. If you are taking shots farther than that, then you're doing it all wrong. A good squirrel hunter with a pistol and an afternoon to kill, can get a limit of them with all shots under 15 yards.

Just got to keep a couple of rocks in your pocket, and get creative with the sitters when you can spot them, tree the runners, wait out the hiders, walk up to the barkers, and stalk the cutters. Don't use the wrong technique on the wrong squirrel. You'll never tree a hider, and you'll never wait out a runner, a cutter could be a hider, a barker, or a runner, and its best to approach them undetected...a barker usually can be approached outright, although hiders, runners, and sitters do bark...better to just get there and get them spotted and figure out how they are going to behave at that point:

20210903_134046.jpg

You are about to have a lot of fun. More fun and action than deer hunting.

Last edited:
In a related note, when you’re loading up your next round, pay maybe a little extra attention instead of deciding which patch thickness to use. The last round fired hard and i was afraid the much thicker patch i’d tried was the cause. As i’m lubing up the next patch my wife calls so like a good husband i put her on speaker and listened too closely, resulting in reaching for another ball and starting it before i rudely and loudly interrupted my wife with an “Oh, bleep! I just started a dryball!” Looking around for my ramrod i realized why the previous shot was a little stout... it’s sorta’ amazing how a .310 ball can launch a ramrod into orbit like that!

Almost like kind of a science project deal, y’know? But no geometry was involved, just astrophysics.

Lesson: don’t answer the phone, even if it’s your wife’s ringtone, or put everything down and walk away to talk to her first.

don

Okay, update: took the rifle back out and decided to reduce the load a little in order to start working it up in increments. On a 20 gr measure, a little rounded, i’m guessing i’m throwing around 21 grains +/-. With a thin (.010?) patch and the taller sight, i turned in the bottom group at 25 yds.

I switched over to a stiffer pre-lube .32 patch and it started pulling to the right again (top photo). Theory: higher pressures, whether from more powder OR a tighter patch, cause the gun to shoot to the right. Any thoughts?

Plus, the front sight was a little shiny, so i put a little dap of black sharpie on it. The case wore a little of this off so my sight picture wasn’t quite as sharp as it could be. I’ll clean it off and put a little perma-blue on it.

I’ve got a couple dozen pre-lubed .32 patches that i won’t use, so i’ll pass them on to the first “i’ll take them”.

I’ve got a pkg of .015 un-lubed patches coming from TOTW so the research continues. Any thoughts on my pressue theory?

don

Attachments

• E110BD74-8205-4A63-A77D-6B1D786714CC.jpeg
    E110BD74-8205-4A63-A77D-6B1D786714CC.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back