• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Show off your first muzzleloader!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black powder rebirth.

Attachments

• E529DC9B-854D-491E-93FE-1C272C2AB6C3.jpeg
    E529DC9B-854D-491E-93FE-1C272C2AB6C3.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 90
My first Muzzleloader was a Antonio Zoli Zouave .58 caliber rifled musket. What I had really asked for, as I was about 15 yrs old, was a Flintlock Kentucky long rifle. I got the second muzzleloader the next year in .44 caliber..,....both still shoot well, having taken 2 deer with Zouave, and one Wild Hog with the .44

Nice story. You show up at school with a muzzleloader now and you'll have 16 SWAT Teams at your disposal. I remember taking a BB gun to school for show and tell. How times have changed!

That's right about weapons in school back in the '60's. I bought two different muzzleloading guns from my biology teacher. First was a kit built percussion pistol in .45 caliber, second was an 1847 Colt Walker I bought as a Christmas present for my dad. Times sure have changed!

Well, what remains of my first muzzleloader - a CVA Kentucky .45 I built as a teen!

It had a hard life and was shot a lot. I later shortened the forestock at one point and then the buttstock cracked at the pistol grip which I fixed.

I actually wore the lock mainspring out and the years took its toll and I just sold it a couple years ago for parts.
IMG_1033[1].JPG

My first and still primary muzzleloader. Was given an old 70's T/C 50 kit, no instructions and missing a few parts, was pretty rough compared to today's kits.
The rear sight is a custom made fixed sight so the purists will let me shoot with them.

IMG_20200106_112428.jpg

My first muzzleloader was a Cabela’s Pedersoli Blue Ridge .45 flintlock I bought secondhand in 1995. Dumb kid who worked for me had bought it with his mom’s credit card in ‘92 after Last of the Mohicans came out. He fired her once, with over 200 gr of 2F powder, and scared himself so badly that he shoved her in the back of the closet and never even cleaned her. His mom sold it to me after he joined the Navy. I hunted with that gun for years- no woodchuck or squirrel on the farm was safe! She was damaged when our house flooded in a hurricane, and in cleaning her, the 🤬 end came off the rammer down the bore and nothing would get it out. Passed her to my brother the gunsmith to work on.
Fast forward 15 years (no sense rushing into these things!) and he’ll be shipping the refurbished rifle back to me tomorrow. And in two weeks, when my son turns 18, I’ll give her to him. I’ll post pictures then.
Jay

Long ago, no pics. I moved to southern Indiana to open a business. My wife stayed back for about six months selling the house. To ward off boredom I bought a DGW Remington Army C&B kit. No experience and very few tools I still got it made and shootable. Shortly after I got a CVA catalog and ordered one of their 'kentucky' flintlock rifles. Watta hunka smelly stuff. But, with help, I got it shooting........sometimes. Quickly sold or traded it off for something else.

First muzzleloader was a TC Seneca, my father give it to me on my 10th birthday in 1985. Ive took alot of game with it and still shoots true to this day.

Attachments

• IMG_20201215_193937386.jpg
    IMG_20201215_193937386.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20201215_193951289.jpg
    IMG_20201215_193951289.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 83
I built this Hawken in 1967 out of a walnut board that I purchased at the local lumber store. I made everything except for the trigger guard, breach plug, tang and barrel which is a Douglass .54 caliber barrel. It was my first build from a plank of wood. I will never sell it. Before that I built one so called "kit" gun.
IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1909.JPG

Zoli Zouave in 1971. Bullets not available so had to cast my own, cast iron lyman pot,single burner Colman stove. Still casting for nearly everything I shoot.

My first muzzleloader is a T/C Pa Hunter Carbine. It's the full octagon barrel version. I bought it at a local BP shop. I was 18 home on leave and a pocket full of money. I told the owner I had never shot one and I knew nothing about them. I ask him to hook me up. So for the next 3 hours I was in a makeshift class. When I left there I had a muzzleloader and a bunch of knowledge. Since then I have gotten a few more and still go back to the shop. I learn something new every time I go.

56-Renegade1.jpg

My first was a 56 cal. T\C Renegade smoothbore. I got started learning how to run ball and shot right out of the gate! That was many moons ago! The addiction got a lot worse and they still haven't found a vaccine!

First m/loader rifle was built in 1972 from a Dixie Gun Works print of a "Hawken plains rifle printed on news paper. Used a Numeric .58 barrel , Bob Kern percussion lock , Dixie GW set triggers , and a Greene Co. Pa. walnut stock. Amazingly , this gun shot well beyond expectations . My shooting/hunting buddy borrowed it and won a prominent m/l target shoot in northern Pa. at the time. The gun's next owner was a young teacher that moved to a town called St. Catherines (?????) south of Hudson Bay. First winter there he shot a caribou with the rifle for winter food. The small house he rented there had a couple of rooms , one of which was used to cold storage the caribou meat. One morning after the fellow went to work , his wife and two kids had to evacuate out the back door to a neighbor's house as a Polar bear was breaking in for the caribou meat. Wife and kids were on the next flight out . Not sure how the rifle got back to Pa. , but I heard it came back. That was the first scratch built rifle I made..........oldwood

My first attempt, in the late 70s, I believe. A CVA pistol kit. Looking at it now, I see a lot of mistakes, but I have enjoyed shooting it.
Second build was this Navy Arms double barrel. The instructions said I could safely fire 8 gauge loads in it, so I did. It was a memorable experience! One I have not repeated! This is a nice shotgun!
Many years elapsed while life got in the way. My interest is rekindled, and I am presently finishing up a TC flintlock kit given to me by a neighbor. Hope to do more shooting now!

Attachments

• 2B031DD4-C885-4F0D-A46D-9B2CBE456A82.jpeg
    2B031DD4-C885-4F0D-A46D-9B2CBE456A82.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 83
  • BD7726AA-AC2D-4820-BBF1-EBB265DDC7A4.jpeg
    BD7726AA-AC2D-4820-BBF1-EBB265DDC7A4.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 41F4985F-EE0D-40BE-8418-05AFCC4A7922.jpeg
    41F4985F-EE0D-40BE-8418-05AFCC4A7922.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 77
My first muzzleloader (but not the first one I ever shot) was given to me from my wife over 30 years ago. She bought it in a pawn shop for $25. It’s a CVA 45 caliber percussion pistol. It’s surprisingly accurate and my favorite muzzleloader. I still shoot it often.

Attachments

• CB409646-5CE5-40A6-AFDF-0B26CF588A80.jpeg
    CB409646-5CE5-40A6-AFDF-0B26CF588A80.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 59
Back