• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tinkered quite a bit with shot size and snowshoe hares with muzzleloaders. They're roughly the size of jackrabbits, and though easy to anchor I try to balance pattern density and penetration in my shot choices.

At the lower vels of muzzleloaders, I settle on #5 for the minimum size to fully penetrate within range. That's to ease cleanup, because #6 will certainly anchor them, but leaves behind pellets in the meat. If it's mostly going to be close range shooting, I'll go to #4 along with smaller charges just to limit the # of hits. It's more a game of uniform patterns than dense patterns in my world, and a hit is a hit, so long as they can't fly through holes in a pattern.

Squirrels? All we've got are the little "red" squirrels about the size of a big hamster. I'd guess #7 1/2 for them, but someone else will have to pipe up for bigger squirrels.

Here in the Rockies we don't have tree rats, the Pine Squirrel are more like "Thee Mice". But I grew up hunting Fox Squirrels in Ohio and #6 shot from my .410 always got it done, same for cottontails.

in my smooth rifle 54 and in my fusil 20 I like no#4 only other size I carrey is some 32cal buck for geese

I to shoot a 54 and 62 smoothbores. I generally use 5's for rabbit, squirrels, pheasant, etc. Usually go to 8's for the small stuff, sparrows, starlings, pigeons,etc.

Grey Squirrels have tough hide.Tried both #6 and#4.I settled on #4 on squirrel as it hit harder.Had more cripples with #6.
Rabbits are thin skinned and I use #6.With a reg shotgun I used #7 1/2 but bumped it up with the muzzy.

I like 5s' (1 1/8 oz)for any thing leagal to take with my .58 if I were using a bigger gun I would likely use bigger shot for some types of game.

I agree completely with Brown Bear.
Bigger shot passes through the meat, Brakes bones.
Close shots on rabbit. 5# are my first choose 4# if i have them on hand. Less shot left in meat.
tree rats might use 6# after the leaves are off trees for the longer shots to fill in pattern.
Grouse 5#

Lead #4s are an excellent powerful pellet size but the reduced pellet count can be a handicap if the target is small or distant...but if the shots are fairly close #4s will put them down with authority.

Lead #5s are my favorite all around shot size for general purpose use in muzzleloaders for most small game like squirrels, rabbits, crows...seems a decent balance of energy / pellet count in muzzleloaders using a powder to shot ratio of 1 to 1.3.

I've used Lead #6s to fill in a Full choke pattern better for small turkey head size targets, found Nickel Plated #7s out of an Improved Cylinder + .20ga worked fine on a Tom this spring, #7.5s do the job on doves, and #8's do well for clay targets.

Latest posts

Back