• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short bullet starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L W Smith

32 Cal
Reaction score
What would be wrong with using 3/8 aluminum starter rod versus 3/8 brass .how long should it be..??

Brass is traditional for use with black powder , aluminum was very expensive in the early 18 hundreds(which is why it was used to cap the Washington monument), But now days people tend to go back to the traditional practice of " using what you have" . Aluminum oxide is very abrasive but that only matters if it comes into contact with your barrel.If aluminum is what you have, use it!

aluminum was very expensive in the early 18 hundreds
Aluminum was invented Cira 1825, way past the colonials period.

Using T/C1000+ I dont even own a short starter.

What they put in fluoride tooth paste is a byproduct of making aluminum.
Which since the 1920s was made a class A poison.
Yet folks are still putting it in their mouths today.

I prefer brass or wood but have used aluminum a time or two. Generally I make my own, here are a few.

Here’s one I made years ago...

It’s an older door knob and a Easton Gamegetter ( aluminum ) arrow shaft threaded too accommodate a brass jag.

Not pc/hc, but I do keep it in a plastic shooting box....

C81786E1-885D-4DEE-9EAF-2B842FF90F63.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back