• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short Barrel Rifles verses Long Barrel Rifles test. Details Below...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever wonder if short rifles can outperform ones with longer barrels?
Details below:

It would be interesting to see if the results were the same using a conical style bullet in both guns.

Heck even conical vs round ball penetration test. Common sense would say the heavier conical would penetrate deeper. However, if it just flattens out the results might be the same, or less penetration due to become a larger/mushroomed chunk of lead. Could be fun test for ya.

It would be interesting to see if the results were the same using a conical style bullet in both guns.

Heck even conical vs round ball penetration test. Common sense would say the heavier conical would penetrate deeper. However, if it just flattens out the results might be the same, or less penetration due to become a larger/mushroomed chunk of lead. Could be fun test for ya.
I've never tried conical bullets in these guns. I'm just an ol' round ball shooter.
I need to follow up on that to see what is needed to shoot.
What does others use??

Great video, thanks for putting this out there. I Think Kibler should sponsor you a rifle so you can show it against all the rest. I think you would be great at putting it through the paces. What ya say Kibler?

A couple things come to mind that muddy the waters a bit.

The longer barrel rifle is flintlock vs the shorter is percussion. I don't know about your rifles but the vent of my flintlocks is significantly wider than the hole at the bottom of a nipple. That loss of pressure in the flint system could cause a slight loss in velocity, though it would take a chronograph to verify.

Regardless of any pressure differences, if there is a speed difference in either case, then that may affect the penetration as well. More speed can decrease penetration as it causes the ball to expand more upon impact, increasing the resistance. This is most pronounced on handgun bullets but I see it in my unmentionable rifles as well. If I shoot a deer or bear inside of 30 yards, there is often no exit & I recover the bullet. But just about every shot outside of 50 yards will exit. Slower projectiles sometimes penetrate deeper than faster ones.

Velocity and distance to target both affect likely penetration. I have shot round ball and conicals out of my .58 caliber Hawken. The round ball leaves the barrel at a much higher velocity than the conical. The energy level shifts rapidly to the conical as you get farther away from the muzzle due to weight advantage and the "long for caliber" bullet shape (ballistic efficiency). Beyond 75 yards the conical will have a definite energy advantage and a sharper point for penetration. Testing at 25 yards may work for squirrels but testing and 75 to 100 yards would be more realistic for a hunting situation.

Great video, thanks for putting this out there. I Think Kibler should sponsor you a rifle so you can show it against all the rest.
I gave away a Woodsrunner rifle a few months ago. Pretty sweet gun for sure.
I wouldn't accept a rifle from Kibler for tests. If I used one of his, it would be a purchased gun.
I want to keep the channel "commercial" free as much as possible.
Thanks for the thoughts though.....

Back