• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shootout..Beauty vs The Beast

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a shootout today between my new super duper SS target model '58 Remington and my old trusty '47 Walker. Looks like I could have saved some money. But then in offhand shooting all the guns shoot better than me.
DSC_8379.JPG
DSC_8382.JPG
DSC_8383.JPG

Had a shootout today between my new super duper SS target model '58 Remington and my old trusty '47 Walker. Looks like I could have saved some money. But then in offhand shooting all the guns shoot better than me.
View attachment 284191View attachment 284192View attachment 284193
Nice shootin from that walker. I have a luv hate relationship with mine. Luv it cause its awesome, hate it cause my grandpa used to make me carry it around the farm for shooting rats. Might as well been dragging a boat anchor 😂

Nice shootin from that walker. I have a luv hate relationship with mine. Luv it cause its awesome, hate it cause my grandpa used to make me carry it around the farm for shooting rats. Might as well been dragging a boat anchor 😂
Grandpa should have gotten you a pony to help out lugging that walker around!

Grandpa should have gotten you a pony to help out lugging that walker around!
He only had one critter to help, a 1400lb Clydesdale named Dan. I'm not sure who was meaner, my grandpa hiting me upside the head cause i didn't know peanuts grew underground or dan buckin me off onto a barbed fence cause he was scared by a 12 inch bull snake coming out from under a cow pie. Either way, I still luv both the sumbitches🐻

Plus fun to shoot! The only pesky problem is that it does not easily shed spent caps like the Rems. or 1851's
Excuse my old memory I may be way off on this, but I seem to remember maybe 25 years ago there was a nipple with a small hole in the side that would be covered by the cap. I was told it was to push out the side of the nipple a bit so the nipples would fall off easy. Am I remembering that correct?

Excuse my old memory I may be way off on this, but I seem to remember maybe 25 years ago there was a nipple with a small hole in the side that would be covered by the cap. I was told it was to push out the side of the nipple a bit so the nipples would fall off easy. Am I remembering that correct?

You didn't say, but I'm guessing you used the same load for the Remmy?

I'd give it a fair shake and try it some more; maybe measure the bore and chambers (it could need a ball 0.003" larger than the other) and try different loads. The same thing can happen with "unmentionable handguns" that use those fancy self-contained pre-loaded cartridges... One load may not be best for both. Maybe the barrel needs to be shot 100 times too to break it in.

Don't give up on it -- shoot it more.

Old No7

It has been my long observation that Pietta's Remington .44's size the ball too small upon loading. From the factory, in my guns, the Pietta chambers shave the ball/bullet to about .445, while my bore is .452, resulting in a ball bouncing down the barrel and barely engaging the rifling. When using a aftermarket accessory that uses bullets of .452 diameter, my Pietta's have great accuracy. I now hone my cylinders out to .451-.452, and that has solved the accuracy problem with Pietta Remingtons. Oddly, Pietta Colt repros do not seem to have this problem. That is my experience with my guns over four plus decades.

You didn't say, but I'm guessing you used the same load for the Remmy?

I'd give it a fair shake and try it some more; maybe measure the bore and chambers (it could need a ball 0.003" larger than the other) and try different loads. The same thing can happen with "unmentionable handguns" that use those fancy self-contained pre-loaded cartridges... One load may not be best for both. Maybe the barrel needs to be shot 100 times too to break it in.

Don't give up on it -- shoot it more.

Old No7
Not the same load. Walker-44 grains of FFFg and in the Remmy I use 25 grains of FFFg. The design of each gun calls for different loads.

It has been my long observation that Pietta's Remington .44's size the ball too small upon loading. From the factory, in my guns, the Pietta chambers shave the ball/bullet to about .445, while my bore is .452, resulting in a ball bouncing down the barrel and barely engaging the rifling. When using a aftermarket accessory that uses bullets of .452 diameter, my Pietta's have great accuracy. I now hone my cylinders out to .451-.452, and that has solved the accuracy problem with Pietta Remingtons. Oddly, Pietta Colt repros do not seem to have this problem. That is my experience with my guns over four plus decades.
I've heard that before. I guess the easiest way for me to check that would be to force in some RB's remove and then mike them. Did you do your own honing? I would imagine at least a drill press would be needed do an accurate job.

Latest posts

Back