• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the Baker rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Baker rifles are fascinating, and an often overlooked firearm outside the UK it seems. How does it shoot with that slow 1 in 120" twist? A few pictures would be nice. :)

Viking78 said:
Baker rifles are fascinating, and an often overlooked firearm outside the UK it seems. How does it shoot with that slow 1 in 120" twist? A few pictures would be nice. :)

Well, bear in mind that the shooter, Steve [not me, I don't have all that furry stuff atop MY head] has macular degeneration and rheumatoid arthritis - so shooting is a bit of a chore for him - he is piling them into 3-4" at 50m.

Not too shabby, I'd say.

Nobody else has ever shot any of his guns - he's not a sharer... :idunno:

See THIS little video, too - same guy shooting and holding the camera -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAX8Zwd1TrI&feature=relmfu

BTW - I got it wrong - he is shooting 100gr of Fg.

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
Viking78 said:

"British Military Flintlock Rifles" by Dewitt Bailey has extensive information on Baker loads, accuracy and use by the British Army.

Dan

Yes, De Witt Bailey's book is a great source of information on the Baker. The contemporary publications on the rifle provide an interesting read as well. Ezekiel Baker's small publication Twenty-three years practice and observations with rifle guns is available online from Google books, as is several of the memoirs of the riflemen that served in British rifle regiments during the Napoleonic Wars. These memoirs give small, but interesting accounts of the practical use of the Baker.

I have a small section about the Baker rifle in my upcoming book on black powder shooting, and now I feel the need for one. A strong need.

Robin,

I am amazed by the speed of loading. You are one skilled shooter! :wink:

Seriously, it does look like a good time. A friend is building a pair of these and I hope to be trying one before long.

CS

I have one that was built from Rifle Shoppe parts back when the series was on over here. I know Mr. Baker said "all of the King's Rifles are sighted in at 200 yards". This would be the fixed sight the flip sight should be at 300 yards. On my rifle the fixed sight is at 100 yards and the flip sight is dead on at 200 yards. Metal animals at 200 yards do not fare well. I like shooting the Forced Ball.

Latest posts

Back