• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting steel ball bearings out of a Pedersoli Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about werewolves but I know that wendigos, day's gone. :grin:

As for the balls in ball bearings, they are just about as hard as steel can get, often ranging from Rockwell C 65 to 67.

Despite their hardness, I think if they are patched with cloth or leather that's at least 1/64" (.016) thick the patching would protect the bore from any damage unless the bore was choked.

Lead balls can be swaged to a smaller size as they pass thru the choke. Ball bearings can't.

It may or may not be an idea my friend, But you could just go to the local sporting goods store and buy a bag of fishing sinkers and melt them down. Here in NY i can get lead free weights at just about everywhere...It wouldnt be the most econimcal but you said that you arent shooting alot...may be cheaper than buying bismuth or other metals....IDK as of right now i can still use lead..

Last edited by a moderator:
California really sucks! Just about as un-American as you can get. Folks have sold themselves for gold!
Nit Wit :shake:

Well, cast from gold it would only be about 170 dollars per shot.
There's people pay a lot more than that for hunting trips all the time!

GoodCheer said:
Well, cast from gold it would only be about 170 dollars per shot.

Would that be $1,700 per shot, based on an ounce of gold?

But still you're right about the prices folks are paying for hunting these days.

wahkahchim said:
Here in the far left state of California, lead has been outlawed for hunting. That means that I can't carry any lead ball on me in the forest. If a game warden stops me it's very unfortunate, and apparently often involves the loss of the firearm.

They make a bismuth ball for the .62 bores but nothing bigger, apparently.

A steel 11/16" ball bearing is .6875" and my Pedersoli Bess has a diameter of .72". Is there any reason why I can't shoot these with a good patch? Actually I'm not really looking to shoot lots, just carry my Bess on my woods walks without simply carrying a useless metal and wood bar around.

How would I test fire these?

Advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Am I the only one smart enough to see what California's lead free projectile requirements are, before postulating possible substitutes?..............

It's just a another slick back door way to deter firearms ownership and hunting. The left at it's best. Makes some pencil neck wackos feel good about themselves. If you can, move away and take your tax dollars to a state that honors your rights. If that's not practical, spend several hours each week doing anything to make liberals who support this manure unhappy :rotf:

CDFW and the California Fish and Game Commission have developed a process to certify projectiles as meeting the nonlead threshold (less than or equal to 1 percent lead content) for purposes of these regulations. A continuously updated list of certified nonlead ammunition for hunting is available on the CDFW website.

Manufacturers are required to undergo an application process to have their ammunition certified as legal for use. Information regarding the certification process is also available on the CDFW website.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonlead-Ammunition/Certified

Claude said:
CDFW and the California Fish and Game Commission have developed a process to certify projectiles as meeting the nonlead threshold (less than or equal to 1 percent lead content) for purposes of these regulations. A continuously updated list of certified nonlead ammunition for hunting is available on the CDFW website.

Manufacturers are required to undergo an application process to have their ammunition certified as legal for use. Information regarding the certification process is also available on the CDFW website.

A bloated bureaucracy gone wild. Especially sad this is in the U.S. :(

Claude said:

That is to what I was referring.... :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I do see one individual's name on the list appearing to make 38/55 bullets out of bismuth....But I don't see the OP's yet.

My understanding is that if it's not on the list, lead free or not it's still illegal.

I admit I didn't open all of those PDF files and read them but I am sure they all were for bullets.

That's fine for the folks who shoot those modern things but nowhere have I ever seen a approved listing by the State of California for any approved roundballs for muzzleloaders.

If you hunt in California with a roundball, I believe whatever your shooting must be "On The List".

That leaves all the muzzleloading rifle shooters out in the cold. :(

Zonie said:
I admit I didn't open all of those PDF files and read them but I am sure they all were for bullets.

That's fine for the folks who shoot those modern things but nowhere have I ever seen a approved listing by the State of California for any approved roundballs for muzzleloaders.

If you hunt in California with a roundball, I believe whatever your shooting must be "On The List".

That leaves all the muzzleloading rifle shooters out in the cold. :(
Tombob outdoors llc. is just one example that has the ITX round balls listed on the list..

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=91765&inline

Latest posts

Back