• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting shotgun birdshot out of a rifled pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schuetzenisbestBP

.50 caliber
Reaction score
i've got a traditions trapper (rifled barrel) pistol, and i wanted to try to load modern shotgun birdshot pellets. is it a bad idea?

I’ve done it several times with a CVA .45 caliber, percussion Kentucky pistol. It wasn’t too bad, but definitely not ideal. It would put a few holes in a pop can at 15 feet (not yards). The load was 20 grains of 3f, a brown paper wad, about 20 - 30 grains of #6 shot and topped off with a wad of brown paper. However, I prefer to shoot patched round balls in this pistol since it’s accurate enough to hit pop cans out to 20 yards if I do my part.

When I was 14 I had a Kentucky pistol. I would cut open shotgun shells and load it with buckshot. Statute of limitations being expired, it would put holes in my neighbors aluminum shed…

going to shoot targets because my aim is garbage with round balls
You'd be better off practicing. The rifling will spin the shot load causing centrifugal force to spread the shot away from the center causing what is often called a "donut" pattern. On paper it looks like a bunch of shot holes in a ring with nothing in the center.
If you're trying to break a stationary clay target you might, might gave some success if you learn where the ring of your pattern is at a given distance and hold off the target so that the outer edge of the pattern, the ring, hits it.

When I was 14 I had a Kentucky pistol. I would cut open shotgun shells and load it with buckshot. Statute of limitations being expired, it would put holes in my neighbors aluminum shed…
that's exactly what i did today! i opened two 7 1/2 shot shells and one 3 shot shell. i'm thinking of doing a "buck and ball" type thing.

Back