• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting shot from rifled muzzleloaders ( with mixed results )

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, I enjoyed this video just like all your others. They’re very entertaining! When I used shot in my 50 cal Hawken, I used same amount of shot as powder (50 gr of each). I used a wad of wasper nest a little bigger than the round ball over the powder and same amount over the ball. This made a fairly good seal and didn’t blow through the shot. It’s not as good as a shotgun/smooth bore, but it’s ok at close range. I’ve even used wasper nest this way with a round ball and that works remarkably well.

I meant to say shot in first part of reply. Oh well. Anyway, my method with wasper nest works with either shot or ball.😁

FWIW, It appears the shot was measured using a percussion cap tin. Out of pure curiosity, I took a CCI tin, filled it with shot and weighed it. Came out to 3 oz.. Pretty excessive shot weight for any of the firearms being used and more in line with an 8 ga. The only saving grace was the light powder charge (just over 2 drams) and the lack of any meaningful seal in the bore. You might try something more in line with standard shot loads, like the same volume of shot and powder especially if you intend to actually seal the bore with a wad. FWIW a .50 caliber is slightly smaller than a 28 ga shotgun.

Given you were throwing over 1000 pellets down range you managed to prove that if you throw enough lead balls down range you might hit something.

Wow! That's a lot of shot! I absolutely agree with the inefficiency of that type of load...that's over 1300 grains or the equivalent of 7 roundballs.

I use a square load for squirrel hunting in my 62 cal smooth bore. 65 gr powder & 65 gr shot. However, in a rifle the pattern opens up more.

I would imagine the rate of twist in the rifled barrel would determine how fast the shot would spread. I wonder what the spread would be with a 1:66 to a 1:72 rate of twist? DANNY

I would imagine the rate of twist in the rifled barrel would determine how fast the shot would spread. I wonder what the spread would be with a 1:66 to a 1:72 rate of twist? DANNY
Yep, I’m sure. The rifle I tried it in was 1:48. The only other rifled bore I’ve tried shot in was a CVA 45 cal percussion pistol. It had about a 2 foot spread at 5 yards with square load of 30 gr and brown paper wadding!

First of all, I enjoyed this video just like all your others. They’re very entertaining! When I used shot in my 50 cal Hawken, I used same amount of shot as powder (50 gr of each). I used a wad of wasper nest a little bigger than the round ball over the powder and same amount over the ball. This made a fairly good seal and didn’t blow through the shot. It’s not as good as a shotgun/smooth bore, but it’s ok at close range. I’ve even used wasper nest this way with a round ball and that works remarkably well.
Thanks...I'm good to try it again sometime & figure out a way to seal 'er up better. I like your idea you described.

In my opinion.....I don't see that happening. If a tough steel barrel gets destroyed by shooting soft lead shot, I need to get a gun with a much better barrel.
I’ve heard that about shooting shot in rifle but if a tight round ball won’t harm a barrel then loose shot definitely won’t. Neither will buck shot or swan shot .

Also, I've learned two things from watching Black Powder Maniacs shot experiment and my own experiment:
1. It's fun! It's interesting to see how these loads work in different guns.
2. Using shot in a rifle will work at close range, even if poorly.

To me the main thing is to have fun but be safe. That's one reason I like his videos. That and the cool guitar chord in the intro! I do believe that's a K flat sharp!

Keep it up Maniac!!!

Also, I've learned two things from watching Black Powder Maniacs shot experiment and my own experiment:
1. It's fun! It's interesting to see how these loads work in different guns.
2. Using shot in a rifle will work at close range, even if poorly.

To me the main thing is to have fun but be safe. That's one reason I like his videos. That and the cool guitar chord in the intro! I do believe that's a K flat sharp!

Keep it up Maniac!!!
I'm willing to try anything that's safe my friend. Regarding that guitar chord...I believe you because I have no idea.
( Borrowed my son's guitar for 2 minutes....LOL ) Thanks for those kind words.....

I've tried this a couple of times out of two different guns with mixed results. The first time was out of a '70s TC flinter. Only had a kleenex with me for wadding. Square load of shot, 70gr of 3f. Fair pattern similar to a modified 410 unmentionable. Second time was using a 50 cal Pedersoli and unmentionable (plastic) rb wads over & under. Same square load and powder. Very wide, sparse pattern. Seems Kleenex worked the best. For that matter, the one I forgot the over powder wad worked well. Whole experiment gave me an excuse for a shotgun. :ghostly:

Back